N'awlins



















I'm visiting New Orleans this weekend. I'm staying at the Westin, nice enough facilities. The hotel is attached to the Canal Shops (a high end mall that doesn't seem to be doing well... ). The rooms are spacious and nicely done, typical Westin style. The one interesting aspect of this hotel is that there is a rooftop pool.

I haven't been to New Orleans post-Katrina and was curious if it would still be the same as I remembered. Bourbon street has added some new faces (Hustler seems to be extensively branded here) but alot of the same places were still around. New Orleans is still relatively poor outside of the city center and that hasn't changed. The current economic state seems to have impacted the city as well. I've seen alot of commercial "lease" signs around the area. In general, Bourbon Street is still Bourbon Street for all you alcoholics.

I ate at the Bon Ton Cafe and the food was really good. The service was ok, the group I was with commented on the slowness of service. Personally, I attributed it to Southern culture but maybe I'm too forgiving. Interestingly, someone passed out and an ambulance was called. People at my table seem to think that the ambulance was slow too. I guess everyone isn't used to the speed of Southerners. :D

I had a terrible experience with dinner the second night and decided to not repeat the experience on my final night in New Orleans. Since no one had any idea of where to go, I suggested the Palace Cafe. I had an excellent spinach salad and duck entree. Of course, I finished the meal with dessert (bread pudding and strawberry shortcake). Bread pudding at Palace was the best of all my bread pudding experience in New Orleans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City