Phoenix

















I'm beginning to visit Phoenix as often as I visited Vegas in my early 20s. I learned that one of my favorite spa resorts became part of the Hilton brand. The Boulders Resort also has the famed Golden Doors Spa within its complex. In hearing that they've become part of the Hilton property, I decided I'd come back and try the hotel and enjoy some spa treatment this holiday weekend. I haven't been to this resort for over six years and wanted to see if it was as I last remembered. The complex has an assortment of lodgings ranging from 'casitas' to 'villas.' In previous stays, I've been at a bungalow casita on the golf course. In this stay, I'm in a casita on the second floor of a building, located near the lodge and main pool - very spacious and sufficient. The balcony view of the area doesn't look like I'm in the desert, lots of trees and cactuses with a mountain backdrop.

After walking around and visiting the spa for my treatment, I've found that I was comparing my current experiences to my memories. The major things were the same, facilities, people, etc. The little things are slightly different, the staff is excellent but there aren't as attentive as my previous experience. Overall, I still enjoy my stay and the spa treatment.

Visited some people and had brunch at the Sierra Bonita Grill. I had the Southwestern Benedict, very tasty. Instead of an English Muffin, it was a green chile biscuit. On the side, instead of the usual potatoe compliment, I received a root vegetable hash. It doesn't sound appealing but it was very tasty. I cleaned my plate clean. For those who know me, it isn't very usual for me to actually finish my meals in restaurants.


For dinner, visited a restaurant in North Scottsdale. Sol Y Sombra is a Spanish tapas lounge restaurant. Modern decor, the food was very good especially the spicy potatoes and the bar serves stiff drinks. As typical of most tapas restaurants, I wasn't enthused with the dessert items and decided to try some at the hotel. I like my sweets but I also want to enjoy them!!! Suprising to find restaurants in the outskirts of Phoenix, it was an enjoyable experience and happy to discover.

On top of that, I came across Grimaldi's pizzeria. The same pizzeria from Brooklyn, New York! It seems that some of the family members settled in the area and making a run of creating a local chain in the Phoenix area according to one reviewer. I ordered a large pizza with meatballs, pepperoni, and garlic. The pizza was good but not quite the same as the original in Brooklyn. My NY friend was wrong, pizza crust does not require water directly from NYC. Unfortunately, the execution wasn't completely right, the mozzarella weren't slices and there were too much sauce making the middle of the pizza soggy. Since dinner was late, didn't catch any fireworks but watched a YouTube video on the phone to replicate the mood!!

Although fun, today seemed unfortunate as I just found out that Steve McNair was found dead today. It doesn't seem like a good year for celebrities. RIP Ed McMahon, David Carradine, Farah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Steve McNair. Somewhat fitting that I saw Public Enemies at the Harkins Theater. I visited the Cine Capri which looks like the closest thing to IMAX theaters without it being called IMAX.

Before heading home, I ate brunch at The Cheesecake Factory. I can honestly say that this is the first time in my life where I've walked into a Cheesecake Factory restaurant and was seated immediately with plenty of tables to spare. I guess the economy has really hit home. Who'd have thought that at noon on a Sunday, the restaurant would be only half full?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City