San Francisco

I'm in San Francisco for an extended weekend visiting some friends and going to the 'SC vs. Cal game. Decided to drive up instead of flying and check out the fuel efficiency of my car - averaged 37 to 38 mpg.

Since I was driving into the city so late, I stayed at the Homewood Suites SFO North for a quick sleep. Fairly convenient to SFO and freeway accessible, the hotel suited my needs. I got a queen studio and it was fairly comfortable and roomy. The hot breakfast buffet and free Internet/business center helped out.

The next day, met up with an old friend in Japan town at Sophie's crepes at 1581 Webster St # 275, San Francisco, CA 94115-3658. Very tasty crepes, made to eat with your hands. Mostly the sweet variety, the texture and thinness was appropriate for the scoop of ice cream and mixed fruits inside. To help with keeping the crepe "dry", they spread Nutella first so that the fruit and ice cream doesn't make the crepe smushy.

Moved hotels and stayed at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. A familiar hotel to me, they have changed some things. The executive lounge is gone and replaced with the lobby restaurant, Urban Tavern. I don't think they do evening h'or deouvres anymore but the restaurant is nicely done. My only comment is that the area where they host the breakfast, there are parts of the dining area where you can tell it used to be a conference/ball room.

Came back after the football game and had a late night dinner at Pearl's Burgers at 708 Post St(between Jones St & Leavenworth St), San Francisco, CA 94109. The burgers were huge and the shakes are pretty good. I would recommend buying the mini versions as they equate to what normal size burgers in other eateries. I got the Spicy Sly and the sauce was really good. The actual hamburger patty was good, not fabolous but I'd still come back. As typical of most things in SF, not cheap either but they do accept credit cards.

The next day, had a light lunch in Chinatown and ate at Grant Place Restaurant. Trolled around Chinatown looking for spicy salt pork chop and meandered into this dim sum restaurant. I've come to think that SF really doesn't have much of a Chinese heritage and cruising through Japan town makes me think SF is more Japanese than Chinesey. The dim sum was ok and the spicy salt pork was good. I don't recommend the red bean sesame balls as there was too much rice flour. Otherwise, a serviceable meal and they seemed attentive enough for a Chinese restaurant.

Spent the day hanging out my good friend doing some errands. Had crepes again at Sophie's and later did some wine tasting from BevMo! They were having a buy one get another one for 5 cents sale. So I did my duty and had some sparkling wine to help in the decision making process for a wine at my friend's wedding.

Went to Richmond for some shopping. Had lunch at Pho Garden and the pho was good. Walked in reading the aricles they had posted on their window. I didn't participate in their pho challenge, a 2 lb pho bowl. I think I like the Richmond area for Asian food more than the city area. The food seems to taste better in this area or it could be just me.

Flying back home with US Airways. I normally don't fly on US Airways out of SFO and found the flights pleasant. The planes felt new and the seats were very comfortable. Had a layover in Vegas and I think this is the first time I've actually had to sit in the Vegas airport for a flight home. Usually don't layover in Vegas, not a bad airport to hang out in with the free wireless internet and assortment of food and entertainment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City