Salt Lake City

For the holiday weekend, planned a trip to Salt Lake City for some snow. I anticipated that the snow conditions would be fantastic and give me a chance to break in new equipment.  Flew out on United Airlines bright and early. Unfortunately, my snowboard didn't make it and I missed the opportunity to try out my board at Canyons Resort. The United Baggage Representative did say that United would pay for my rental charges because of the delayed baggage. I even received two phone calls from them updating me on the status of my luggage. Now I just have to hope I get refunded before my birthday. :p



Unfortunately, my anticipations of powder was dashed as there seems to be a snow drought yeart to date for this winter season in the mountain west. The conditions at Canyon City was poor and I only did a few runs. Even though the lift ticket is free for same day flight arrival, I was too tired to enjoy it with the basic rental from the shop. On the bright side, my rental should be free compliments of United. I was able to pick up my delayed luggage before dinner. The 1K desk called me twice. First, was to let me know when it would be arriving and the second was to confirm I did get my bag. It was nice that they followed up.



A friend had rented a vacation home for the trip but her group fell apart. So I opted to help out and cancel my first night hotel at the Hampton Inn Sandy. Being in a residential neighborhood is certainly different feel but the locale was nice enough. Went out to Pat's BBQ as seen on Diners Dives and Drive Ins.



The group ate family style and shared the meatloaf, ribs, chicken and brisket. It was a big meat fest and the meal was pretty good. The sweet potato pie was better than the bread pudding in my opinion. The neighborhood is industrial and the restaurant is a little hard to find but the interior is rather large and bright. They even have live band in one part of the restaurant.



The next day, headed out to Snowbird Resort. Decided to make it a half day and bought tickets from Arc Snowboard to get discounted lift tickets. A day's pass is less than the half day price at the resort. Unfortunately, the conditions were worse than yesterday and I only did a run before calling it quits. On the bright side, I had a bruges waffle and got my board waxed.



Checked into the Hilton Salt Lake City Airport hotel. Since we were flying the next afternoon and had to return the car rental in the morning, it made sense to stay close to the airport. Of course, a snow system decided to roll in as I'm leaving today. Argh




Before heading home, had breakfast at The Original Pancake House and enjoyed a pecan pancake. Still not as good as my favorite pancake restaurants in LA but tasty enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City