New York

Impromptu trip to NYC because of expiring credit airline vouchers on United Airlines. For this trip, I flew into Newark Airport. I haven't flown to Newark before this year (or have completely forgotten) and I find it funny that I've been to this airport twice this year. Although this time, I'm not laying over and went to NYC via train. The train takes about 40 minutes to get to NY Penn Station. After all these years of flying into NYC, I am not sure why I haven't done so since it is faster than taking the subway from JFK. The downside of the New Jersey train is that it runs on a set schedule and doesn't run as frequently as the NYC subway.



Checked into the Conrad New York. This particular hotel is a conversion from an Embassy Suites near the World Trade Center before 9/11. The hotel opened in March of this year. It was interesting to see the bones of the hotel as an Embassy Suites. The hotel conversion was done really well and it isn't obvious that it was another hotel. If you're familiar with Embassy Suites, all the hotels have a specific layout. The room was spacious and modernly designed. It was also all teched up; exterior TV inputs and master light control switches.

Since the Conrad is located in Battery Park, it was easy to catch ferries and decided to go to Staten Island. Now, it isn't a destination location for most NYC tourists but how often can you say that you've gone? It was a toss up between Staten Island or Coney Island but the weather was thunderstormy and it didn't seem like a good idea to go to Coney Island.

Found that there was a botanical garden in Staten Island and decided to check it out. My first impression of Staten Island was an interesting mix of old homes and affluent homes. Walking through suburbs, the botanical garden came into view. In general, when I think of botanical gardens I'm envisioning manicured gardens. This particular garden felt more natural. It was more like a semi-forest with some buildings for venues. After walking about the Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden, had some lunch at Pier 76. The pizza was ok and the online reviews should be ignored. On the way back to the hotel, I was debating about getting bagels from David's Bagels or Ess-a-bagel. So I stopped by both locations and decided Ess-a-bagel was the better of the two.

Took a quick nap in the afternoon before heading out to Shake Shack. The place was always packed with people every time I see the restaurant which was around the corner to the hotel. I had the Shack Stack and root beer float. I don't know if I'm spoiled with other burger joints but I found this particular burger small. Even more so because it was $9. I would say that the shakes were good but I've had better at other restaurants like 25 degrees in Huntington Beach, CA. It was nice to try but I wouldn't go back. Ended up striking a conversation with a couple at the next table and closed the restaurant down. Afterwards, wandered back to the hotel and tried to get a drink at the hotel bar. I say tried because I ended up going into the room and made myself a drink from the mini-bar. At the bar, I had to wave down someone to get a menu and was told that last call was in 20 minutes. The bar had about 3 couples and I think the bartender was more interested in shutting down rather than serving a new customer. After waiting another 15 minutes and determining that $16 drinks wasn't going to be worth it, headed up to the room. The mini-bar did end up being cheaper if you consider tipping isn't a necessity. :)

Started the next day with breakfast at the hotel restaurant. This particular Conrad didn't have an executive lounge and I was curious what my options were for breakfast. I had looked up online opinions of the Conrad restaurant and they were fairly accurate. It seemed to me that the hotel was generally well staffed except for the restaurant and bar. They need to work on those two areas. It seemed most of the patrons in the restaurant was ordering the prix fixe continental breakfast. Given the simplicity of the food, I would have thought they could have served the food faster. At least the food was good.


After breakfast, headed out to wander the city. After awhile, went to Bon Chon for lunch. The chicken wings were as good as I remembered. I also had the bulgogi burger which was tasty as well. The sauce that comes with is fantastic and went well with the fries. Ironically, same price and size as the Shake Shack. It made me think that New Yorkers enjoys small burgers but huge pizza slices. :) After lunch, I grabbed a dozen bagels to bring back from Essa-a-bagel.

After dropping off the bagels in the room, I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel left a couple of moose plush toys. Conrads usually have some type of mascot they leave in rooms. I had asked the front desk about it and they said they don't usually so it was nice to see in the room when I walked in.

Moved to the Hampton Inn Times Square North. At the last minute, I found the hotel had dropped rates saving myself $50! It worked out well since I had to leave for the airport at 5 am the next day and it seemed a waste to pay for another night at the Conrad. Grabbed an early dinner at Marea. I was watching an episode of Meat Men earlier in the week and was curious to try one of Michael White's restaurants. I was only able to grab an early dinner reservation and enjoyed one of the best Italian seafood meals and for a reasonable price given the service and ambiance. I really liked the dessert snacks at the end of the meal even though I ordered dessert. The service was impeccable and I was given a take home gift from the bakery on my way out.

Afterwards, grabbed drinks with a friend at Verlaine in the lower east side. Late night happy hour drinks for $5 and the mixed drinks were good. It was a great way to end the night before heading back home.

On the way back home, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the plane was an international configuration. I had a couple of upgrade certificates and thoroughly enjoyed the upgraded cabin. The panini and tomato soup was actually really really good!

Comments

Shake Shack said…
Betty, so sorry to hear about your experience at Shake Shack. We're always working to help our team improve, so we appreciate any feedback coming our way.

Hope you'll come back and see us again next time you're in the city!

-Brandy, Shake Shack

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City