Shanghai

Summer fares to China have been rough this year. An economy fare this year was the same price as business fare last year. I don't think United Airlines feels that the Chinese market is retracting. In fact, it seems that business is booming. I opted to do a combination buy a one way fare and use miles for the other one way. Ironically, saver awards were plenty on the one way so I booked a first class ticket and used an upgrade certificate on the purchased segment.
United First Class Lounge at LAX
The last time I flew first class to Shanghai was last summer. Nothing changed much this year except the toiletry bag was a bit more robust after the United/Continental merger. On this particular trip, I was able to check out the First Class lounge in the United terminal at LAX. I've always seen the signs leading up and wondered why there was a need for two lounges in the same terminal. As expected, it was pretty empty in the lounge. The food offerings had more options than the United Club. The feel was slightly older but nothing noticeable since I was one of five people.

Time for nap!


Yet, I was captive by the TV so no sleep

I intended to rest a little at the start of the flight but the movie selection available distracted me enough to stay awake the entire flight. On the bright side, I was able to fully enjoy the food and beverages available!


Appetizer of tempura shrimp and wontons





Double cut pork chop, was tasty!





Ended with a quartet of dessert bites and a glass of Bailey's




















After landing at Pudong Airport, I hit the sack. To adjust to the time zone difference, I try to sleep at night wherever I am. In this case, it meant staying up during the flight to make sure I would sleep when I landed and settled in. I did have enough energy to grab some chicken at a small fried chicken shop around the corner, Haodada. Fried to order, it reminded me of the fried chicken you get at taiwanese cafes.

The next day, grabbed lunch at Crystal Jade in the Xintiandi district. After lunch, checked out the Shanghai Aquarium. I had seen a "top ten" list of best aquariums in the world and Shanghai was on that list. The entrance fee is 160 rmb and popular with families. When I first walked in, I didn't find the facilities impressive until I got to the tunnel. This aquarium has the longest underwater tunnel and there is a people walkway to make sure you move along. It probably has to do with trying to stop people from milling and clogging up the pathway. Even though there are signs and warning to discourage tapping on the windows and/or sticking hands in the water tanks, you will find that the local people disregard the posts. That was the only downside of the aquarium is the lack of appreciation from the visitors of the animals in the facility. There is also very little staff in the area to stop people from harassing the fishes.

The underwater tunnel at the Shanghai Aquarium

Underbelly of turtle

Afterwards, went to Brew Bar at the Kerry Hotel. It is a westernized bar serving cold beers from draft. They also offer cider which was pretty tasty. All the brews are made on-site. The fries were done well too. Given the heat and humidity, I was tired out from the day's activity and turned in for a quiet night. I greatly enjoyed the bottle of xxx given to me by the airline stewardess on my flight. During the flight over, she had asked me the reason for my trip and once she found out it she gave me a bottle of wine to enjoy. I thought it was really nice and I enjoyed the wine very much.

The next day, I had lunch at Mr. Pancake House at 877 Wuding Road, Jing'an, Shanghai. I think this is the closest you'd ever get to an American pancake breakfast restaurant like IHOP. For the area, the food was good but I'd still opt for IHOP or my favorite local breakfast diner in the States. After lunch, I went to Hongqiao International Pearl City at 3721 Hongmei Rd 2nd fl, Hongqiao Craft Market. It is a popular place at one time when illegal knock-offs were common in the shops but the Chinese government recently cracked down. The crowds were minimal but I found some things to buy to bring back home. Afterwards, grabbed a few drinks at Skyline at 455 Fahuazhen Lu
corner of Xianghuaqiao Lu with a few friends before calling it quits for the night. The happy hour special here is a buy one get one free...so be prepared to drink more than one. :)


The last day of my trip I went by the Boxing Cat for lunch. An LA influenced microbrewery, the food was pretty good and the beers were fine. I had the BCB's Burger Masterpiece and found myself enjoying it immensely. There is decent beef in Shanghai after all. After relaxing with friends, took off to the airport for the trip home. And if you're wondering, it was a business class seat home. :) Given the high prices, I didn't have much competition on the waitlist with other MP flyers.

At least on my way home, I was able to pack more of my favorite Lay's flavors like Hot and Sour Fish Soup and Numb and Spicy Hot Pot Flavor! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City