Rome Day 1

Landing into Fiumicino Airport is an experience into itself. After landing, the passport control lines were out of control. So what was the Italian’s solution to process all the people? Letting everyone through without checking passports and I was amazed that no one seemed bothered that no passports were checked. I was totally bummed about not getting a visa stamp from Italy. This will also be an issue at the end of the trip. In addition, there were carousel issues and I had to wait almost an hour before seeing luggage. I knew the Italians had a reputation for inefficiency but wow.

Once outside, I was approached by shuttle drivers. I opted to go with the shuttle driver once someone with a badge arrived saying that they were authorized to take people from the airport. I also saw that all the taxis in the queue were very small cars and unable to accommodate four people plus luggage. Upon reflection, I’m not convinced that they were really authorized to be at the airport but lesson learned. The airport is a little bit of a distance from the city center and don’t be surprised to see cab fares around 50 euros or higher.  Given the large entourage, the shuttle was 110 euros. I later found that the other half of my group was able to score a shuttle for 70 euros. So be forewarned, avoid the shuttles. Or at least negotiate with confidence that the guy is going to gouge you.
 
I was hoping that the Hilton Garden Inn Rome Claridge Hotel would allow early check-in but it was not available. A popular hotel with cruise lines, the hotel was full. I had some breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Simple but fulfilling, I was surprised to see a waffle maker in the breakfast buffet. I find waffles such an American tradition that I didn’t think I would see it in Rome. There were a lot of Americans in the hotel so I guess it made sense. Afterwards, we killed some time by walking around the neighborhood to get the lay of the land. Sunday is not the best of days to wander in the neighborhoods as many shops and restaurants are closed for the day.

With little options for eating, dinner was at Il Sorriso on Via Flavia 63. The initial plan was to eat at a pizzeria but it wasn’t open. We opted for the closest restaurant and the food was good. I was hoping for a better first impression of Italian food but I hoped that it would improve as the week wore on. This meal would be one of the few good meals I would have on this trip. The one thing I learned from this particular restaurant was that I do like panna cotta. Typically, I’m not a fan as I find it pretty jello-like in the States. In Italy, it is creamier and tastier.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City