New York City

Came out for the weekend to visit friends. I flew out on United Airlines on a redeye and was able to get the Millenium Hilton. Unfortunately, my transit to Manhattan was delayed due to some type of train track malfunction with the Airtrain at JFK. Added an hour to my trip, it was a good thing I was not in a rush.

By staying at this Hilton, I had front row 'seats' on the construction progression around WTC. Things appear to be moving along fairly quickly and I had a very picturesque view of the city skyline. One of the benefits of staying at this Hilton is that Century 21 is next door. I was sad to see that Century 21 was closed for the day and without any reason.

After checking in, I headed out to Brooklyn to visit my friend. We wandered out to the promenade and had pizza at Ignazio's Pizza at 4 Water Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201. It was supposed to be "better than Grimaldi's" but I'm not sure that it was but the wait was minimal in comparison. Afterwards, wandered over to Jacques Torres Ice Cream Shop. Known for his artisanal chocolates, the ice cream shop was tasty but not boutique level. The goods were good but it was pricey as well.

Returned back to the hotel for a quick nap and football game, I wandered back out to Pizza Mezzaluna. I was still hankering for a thin crust style pizza (which was not really offered at Ignazio's) and wandered into this small restaurant. I will say that the service was quick and the food was hot and fresh. The spicy pepperoni pizza is worthy of its spicy title. Afterwards, I went to Molly's Cupcakes. They offer filled cupcakes and I found the concept interesting. As a winner of Cupcake Wars, I wanted to see what kind of cupcakes I was going to get. I really enjoyed the strawberry shortcake cupcake. I bought other flavors but the strawberry shortcake hit home for me.

The next day, I wanted to see the infamous maker of Cronuts from Dominique Ansel Bakery. I saw that the line went around the block and nixed the idea of standing in line. Nothing in the world is worth that kind of wait. So I went back to Molly's Cupcakes for another strawberry shortcake cupcake and to Momofuku Milk Bar to try the "crack pie." In the end it tasted like a pecan pie without the pecans. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not because I find most pecan pies too sweet.

After checking out of the Millenium Hilton, I made a pit stop in Brooklyn again to visit another friend before heading out to JFK. This time, the Airtrain was working perfectly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City