Aspen

This year has not been a good year for snowboarders. Haven't had a chance to snowboard, I hoped Aspen would be able to provide some much needed powder in my life. Used frequent flier points to fly on United Airlines to Aspen. Super small airport and the resorts all make pickups. I called the Westin Snowmass Resort ahead of time to confirm that they will send someone to get me.

The shuttle driver found me fairly easily and I was able to check into the room in the early afternoon. Since I had some time to kill, I had lunch at the Snowmass Kitchen. Pricey but good, the only drawback was the slow service in the restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised of the suite upgrade when I checked in. The one bedroom suite had a dining area and wet bar pantry room. The balcony was the same size as the living room, definitely a party room if you wanted it to be. I liked the amenities which included an in room humidifier and a portable heater. The balcony also came with outside heater lamp for cooler climes.

Enjoyed happy hour drinks and snacks at the New Belgium Ranger Station. I had a lovely buttered rum and bison nachos with pretzels. For dinner, went to Slice and enjoyed the pizza and carbonara pasta.

Got breakfast at the Snowmass Kitchen the next day. The breakfast buffet looked minimal and I ordered the breakfast burrito. Not bad but not great either. Afterwards, shook out the cobwebs on my snowboard and went down the mountain a few times. I really liked the snowboard in and out feature of the resort. It really is nice to be able to stay in a hotel in a ski resort. Took a break during the day at Starbucks before one last run down the mountain. I enjoyed happy hour so much at New Belgium Ranger Station that I returned to have the same thing. For dinner, went out to Mountain Bayou at 16 Kearns Rd Ste 103, Snowmass Village, CO 81615. Shared the mahi crawfish etouffee which was tasty. The restaurant did not have much in the way of dessert. Wandered off to downtown Aspen and had a crème brulee crepe from Creperie Du Village. I've never had this kind of crepe and it was pretty awesome.

The next day, grabbed breakfast at the Snowmass Kitchen and opted for pancakes this time. The cakes were good and it was good my companions had the breakfast buffet. I can never eat pancakes by themselves. Did some light snowboarding and headed to Venga Venga for lunch. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying the Mexican food and was unhappy that I had forgotten my half of the hangar steak quesadilla at the hotel lobby.

It was definitely nice and convenient to board in the morning and then head off to the airport in the afternoon. I would definitely return to Aspen despite the lack of powder on this trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City