Hanoi

Landed into Ton Sat Airport and was able to get through security and customs fairly easily.  I had arranged for the hotel airport car service. From my last trip, I found that the taxis were not the cheapest route. I was given the same room as last time and was happy to see things were unchanged.

This is my first time in Vietnam for a work conference. The conference hotel was Melia Hotel and it was a very new and modern facility. On this trip, I discovered that my international data roaming plan was not valid in Vietnam. Something must have happened with the U.S. telecoms and the Vietnamese government. My colleague's service was also not allowed. Luckily, I brought an unlocked phone and will say that Mobifone is a good deal for prepaid data. Just make sure you activate the monthly plan or your value will disappear the next day. The store operator was gruff but helpful.

Afterwards, I was treated to a foot massage at the Oasis Spa inside the Melia Hotel. I thought it was fine but I'm not a fan of being in humid hot rooms and being massaged. The conference food was sadly lacking in quality and it was good I didn't have high expectations.
Musical Show at conference dinner
The next day, went out to Cha Ca Va Long which is highly touted in travel magazines and guides. The dish is fried fish and it was smaller than one 4 oz fillet that is meant to be shared between two people. Personally, I think it is overly hyped and would enjoy the conference food just as much for $9. Afterwards, grabbed banh mi from around the corner. That was also ok but better tasting than the fish for $1. The sandwich came with a banana too. Spent the rest of the evening enjoying an iced coffee while my colleague tried a massage at a spa.

The next day, I visited Ho Loa Prison during a break. The prison is around the corner from the Melia Hotel and it was an easy sight to view in an hour. I was not up for dinner and stayed in to catch up on work and sleep.

The next day, I attempted to visit the Vietnam Military Museum but they were closed during the lunch hour. Wandered over to the Old Quarter and had Bun Cha Ha Noi. Since I was only relying on Tripadvisor, it was a better meal than the fish from two nights ago. It was also half the cost as well. I always have enjoyed the pork patty and sliced loin in vinegar sauce served with fried spring rolls and vermicelli noodles. 

As my previous time taught me, I opted to arrive at Ton Sat airport earlier than recommended because of the lines to check in. For some reason, people in Hanoi cannot queue up well nor can the counter agents work very fast. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City