Albany

Went out on United Airlines to New York's capital. I haven't been in upstate NY in almost a decade and I was looking forward to visiting despite winter seasons and it was a two day work conference.

After laying over at O'Hare International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport, I arrived into Newark too late to catch my connecting flight. Luckily, there was another flight to Albany and I changed my flight on the United app. I think they would have held the plane for me since I landed when the flight was supposed to leave. After being on the planes all day with limited food options, I opted to grab a quick dinner at the airport and take the later flight. Vanguard Kitchen is in one of the United terminals and the restaurant even allows you to use Mileageplus points to pay for dinner. You also order from the iPads stuck on the table. It is definitely a new concept in dining to incorporate full service and self service at the same time. The food is typical of airport food and the price is proportionately expensive. Overall, it was fine but nothing I'd want to spend if it was not on company dime.

After landing into Albany International Airport, I checked into the Hilton Albany. The hotel is very nice and the recent renovations have modernized the hotel. I did not use the indoor pool but the gym is nice. Room service was still serving and I ordered a Caesar salad. I had low expectations and found the Caesar salad was big, fresh and the shaved parmesan cheese was a nice touch. The executive lounge needs updating or a different location in the hotel. I was upgraded to a suite and the lounge was my suite but on the second floor. The breakfast was light continental and the evening hors d'oeuvres.

I was at the University of Albany downtown campus during the day. Whoever caters at the University does great apple pies and the gingerbread trifle was too good. I'm not sure why the University needs a downtown campus when the actual campus is five miles away.

For dinner, I decided to eat at the hotel. It was pretty empty and I think I should have tried a different restaurant after all. I ordered a flatbread which tasted over and under cooked at the same time. The duck was a little overcooked and the chocolate lava cake was awful. It felt like they microwaved the cake.

The next day, I walked over to Cider Belly Doughnuts before checking out in the morning. I was intrigued because I've never heard of cider being used in cake doughnuts. I found the doughnuts tasty and it held pretty well. Even a few days later, most cake doughnuts are too dry to eat. With these doughnuts, I was able to still enjoy after warming them up.

Unfortunately, I was not able to stay longer in Albany due to other commitments but I wouldn't mind returning.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City