Washington DC

Went on United Airlines to Washington DC for a conference. I gave up my upgraded flights to fly direct into Dulles and attempted to get in earlier than originally scheduled. It didn't work out that way and received 10,000 points from United for the delays. I don't know if I was thrilled with getting 10K in points but I'll take it.

I had a friend who lives in DC and she graciously picked me up from the airport. We had dinner at the Carving Room. It was featured on Diners Dives and Drive Ins but I was ok with the restaurant. Afterwards, checked into the Washington Hilton and grabbed gelato at Dolcezza. It appears to be a local chain of gelato stores owned by Brazilians.

The next day, the conference had a reception at the International Spy Museum. It was a nice enough location but nothing I would want to go pay for to visit. The Shake Shack was next door and I grabbed a late dinner before heading to the next reception at Bobby Van's Steakhouse.

The next day, I grabbed some desserts at Un Je Ne Sais Quoi at 1361 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036. They have this meringue dessert that is really popular. Very French so I won't bother with trying to type the name of the dessert. 

Headed out to the Dulles International Airport via Uber. For this trip, I used Uber quite a bit to navigate the city. It is the first time I opted to go non-taxi to travel and it worked out well enough. At the airport, I was early enough to grab an early dinner at the District Chophouse inside the check in lobby area. It isn't rated well but I found my salmon sandwich tasty. The service is spotty as the folks don't appear to care much.


I did find it interesting that United does not have a clear way for the flight attendants to know who is 1K or not. The latest new perk is free drink and free food. Giving up my upgraded flights, I was sitting in economy and it was always a hit or miss that I had to tell the flight stewardess if the food/drink ordered is supposed to be free.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City