Park City

I had booked this trip a year earlier hoping that the pandemic would have resided. Unfortunately, a lot of the country is still in lockdown and my brother was not able to join me on this trip. Timing wise, I was able to luck into the biggest snow dumps of the season. 

Salt Lake International Airport is undergoing renovations and the first phase has opened. Fun fact, the airport turned 100 in December 2020. Upon arrival, I thought the airport looked different but given my lack of travel recently and the lateness of my arrival, I chalked it up to tired eyes. One of the newest upgrades I noticed was the oversized baggage claim. In the past, it would be chucked out through a garage style opening. Now, there are upright luggage totes that can accommodate oversized luggage. It is more efficient as it allows you to see what was dispensed AND at a higher volume.

Since I was snowboarding solo, I opted to fly in late at night and stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport hotel. I was happy I made that arrangement rather than driving into Park City. My United Airlines flight arrived two hours late and the Avis location had run out of cars. We were lucky to have requested the correct vehicle (a lot of folks were hoping to be upgraded from their vehicle). After grabbing the Mazda CX-5, headed out to the Fairfield. The airport is going through several parking structure construction so it was difficult to figure out how to get out of the airport so take it slow or you can end up driving in a circle for infinity.

The Fairfield seems recently refreshed as the furniture was a little modern but old touches such as wired ethernet ports at the table shows the age. In pandemic times, no free water or hot breakfast. I did fine the little convenience mart well stocked and I was given a choice of any item without a value limit. A Perkins Restaurant & Bakery is attached and I was given a free muffin for breakfast as a titanium perk.

Moved to the Sunrise Lodge by Hilton Grand Vacations the next day. When I booked the studio I was hoping to get the layout that included the hot plate. Apparently, there are two versions and I was correct this time around! Unfortunately, I had stopped at Smith’s before arriving for some essentials and didn’t buy any foods that required cooking. I did learn from the desk agent that I needed to book a certain room code type and it will likely work out. STP is the studio plus units and it seems that the plus but not premiums have this option. 

Sunrise Lodge Studio

I also had friends coming into Park City and I booked a room at the AC Park City Hotel. It was a super popular week for Park City and the room rates were not cheap. It didn't help that the bathroom sink was clogged. Overall, for a new hotel (less than six months) it was nicely laid out and the rooms are very spacious. The breakfast buffet at $12 may not feel appetizing but after I had the prosciutto egg toast, it was well worth the price. I had a passing thought of checking out the indoor pool and spa but time didn't permit. 

AC Hotel Double Room

Breakfast toast at AC Hotel lobby restaurant

Due to flight schedules, I opted to book a work day stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Hotel. Compared to the Fairfield, the room was larger and the location was slightly easier to get in and out of the area. It was an easy one turn off the freeway kind of thing. For this stay, I booked the workspace rate which made it easier to cruise past the front desk agent. She started saying how they may not be able to accommodate early check in. It was a moot point once I said it was the work from hotel rate and not a regular stay. It ended up being slightly cheaper since the suite I booked (was the only option at the time) was $15 more than the regular room given. I was surprised to see the lobby active with folks on laptops during the lunch hour.

Dining

Banbury Cross Donuts - I had some time to kill during the day and opted to swing by and try this local doughnut shop. I ordered the rosette which tasted like a donut cinnamon pullapart. Overall, it was decently priced regular and tasty doughnuts. I did arrive mid morning and a lot of their flavors were gone, an indication of how popular it is with the locals. One of the more unique flavors is the rosette. It tastes like a pull apart monkey bread but more doughnutty.

Rosette from Banbury Cross Donuts

Pat’s BBQ - After grabbing doughnuts, I headed over to Pat’s to pick up my meal kit that I preordered the night before. Due to the pandemic, it seems business is down and their answer was to create daily family meal kits. I didn’t need all the food but it was such a bargain for $40 including tax! For the day, my meal kit consisted of 1 pound of pulled pork, 1 pound of brisket, 1 rack of ribs, dozen chicken wings, side of cornbread, 2 pounds of mac n cheese, and 1 pound of cole slaw. I loved the sweet and spicy chicken wing sauce and the rest of the bbq was on point. The cole slaw was meh for me and the Mac n cheese was good enough. 

Pat's BBQ family meal deal #!
Pat's BBQ family meal deal #2

Grubsteak - friends treated me to a dinner at this steakhouse. Unfortunately, I was still reeling from a combination of altitude sickness and upset stomach and didn't have much food. The rib eye steak was rare (I think we ordered medium rare) and the entire meal took over an hour to serve the entree. People who came after us were already gone by the time we were halfway eating our entrees. The desserts looked interesting but given the lateness and my general state of mind, it was a pass. Overall, I wouldn't come back.

Tulie Bakery - cute little bakery in a residentialish neighborhood. The salted caramel bar is really delicious. 

Gourmandise - the restaurant bakery has a location inside terminal B in SLC as well as in the downtown area. The pecan koign amman was reminiscent of a caramel roll. The cookies are a little hard and does require some heating to loosen the flavor. If you only layover in SLC, there is an airport location near the United gates.

R&R BBQ - compared to Pat's, I like R&R sauce more but the food value is better at Pat's. I was a little bummed that my double order of brisket didn't make it to the plate and then I subsequently left it at the airport. The downtown location now boasts a drive through, opening when the pandemic started. I assume that was really fortunate as it allowed them to remain in business. Construction in downtown is at an all time high and it was a little tricky to navigate to get to this location. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City