New York

 Hopped onto United Airlines for a long work trip to New York City. Since I was mostly occupied with work obligations, there was not much outside activity time to explore the city. No worries, I ended up returning a few months later and you can see that post. Didn't take any pictures on this trip!

It was eerie to be in the city with active pandemic protocols in place. Restaurants required vaccination proof to come in and many places still wanted you to wear masks. Compliance was spotty as expected with everyone having their own opinions on the efficacy of masks. Overall, the city felt emptier.

I was given a room at the Park South Hotel. It isn't often that I stay at Hyatt branded properties, so this was a little different. As typical of NYC hotel rooms, it wasn't a large room but functional enough. I only found out after checking out that I could have ordered coffee or tea as they don't have a coffeemaker inside the room.

Dining

Sarabeth's - I was treated to dinner at this restaurant. There are a few locations and a bakery. As it was a large group, we were given a limited menu for entrees, and I opted for the chicken. I think the other menu items were interesting and would be interested in returning for their brunch. Overall, the food was good and the service was attentive.

David's Bagels - As I didn't know when I'd be back to NYC, I ordered two dozen bagels from my favorite bagel place. I don't know if over time more folks have been ordering bagels or because of the pandemic but the bagel shop now has a website and online ordering available.

Spot Dessert - I wanted to try an asian dessert place and found Spot. Being in Asia often, the items at this dessert chain was typical of what I'm used to seeing. It seems that NYC is a little behind when it comes to trending asian foods but happy to see that they are making inroads. The ever popular toasts are available and I found the cookies really tasty. I ordered online to go and was limited in my options. If you wanted full access to their menu, you have to brave the wait lines. As I can easily find these desserts outside of NYC, I didn't feel compelled to suffer through the wait.

Katz's Delicatessen - In search of something I haven't been but is an established institution, I decided to try Katz's sandwiches. After waiting for 30 or so minutes, I was able to get inside to order a pastrami sandwich. Some folks may think it is overrated and not worth the time but I think you should try because it was delicious. There is alot of tourists and locals and so the wait is made worse sometimes by indecisive people in line. The best is to be prepared on what to order even if you don't know what you are getting. You'll understand after....

Le Cafe Coffee - One of the most expensive coffees I've had the privilege to pay, I was reminded of the HBO series Hack. There was an episode where the writer returns from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and was able to pay her soy matcha vegan latte for $15 and was excited that she didn't have to explain the drink. The drink was fine, it was just a reminder that I'm in NYC.

787 Coffee - the hotel restaurant wasn't open for breakfast and so they referred guests to this coffee shop and you can get a 10% discount. I ordered a coffee and PBJ sandwich. I don't know how it is possible but the PBJ sandwich was a thumbs down. Nice enough folks with puerto rican coffee beans.

Sweetbriar - I was comped a glass of wine at the hotel and so I went to Sweetbriar for a glass of wine and an appetizer. I ended up ordering brussel sprouts as a snack and it was tasty! It seemed pretty popular, but I wasn't committed to staying for actual dinner.

Best Bagel & Coffee - To compare against David's Bagels, I visited this oft written bagel shop. If I was on the immediate block and wanted a bagel sandwich, I would go in but I wouldn't go out of my way for their bages.

Bagels & Schmear - Right next to the hotel, this bagel shop is very popular with the locals. I found it appealing, even more so than the Best Bagel shop. Service is quick and the bagels warm and chewy. I didn't try their other goods but it looked good. My colleagues enjoyed their items.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City