Phoenix

There was a time that I would visit Phoenix several times a year but since the pandemic started, I have not had a reason to come out this way until this year. Visiting friends both locally and non, I hopped onto a Southwest flight to Sky Harbor International Airport.

Originally, I was going to get a car from Turo and I should have stuck with it. I ended up creating a snag on my rental reservation with Dollar and had to rent a day rental from National to bridge the gap.

Checked into the Arizona Biltmore for one night and the hotel has added a few amenities since I've last stayed. I do occasionally miss how Diamond status was harder to achieve which made the hotels actually do something to acknowledge the status. In the new world order, the Diamand food credit is added on top of the resort fee food credit. I didn't eat much at the hotel, spending most of my dollars on pool bar items.

Arizona Biltmore King Bed

Arizona Biltmore Pool


One of the major items I noticed on this trip was the pool slide and separate adult pool. The snack shop with my favorite granola and cookie items have been replaced with a quick cafe of sandwiches, ice cream and coffee plus snacks. Overall, the bars/cafes in the hotel offers a good selection of food. I didn't have an opportunity to try the restaurants but I am intrigued. So I may have to return to see.

For the remainder of the trip, I initially thought to stay at the new HGV club resorts through Diamond but I then decided not to after looking at the reviews. Ironically, I ended up staying at the Scottsdale Marriott McDowell Mountains which was right next door to the HGV club resort.

Scottsdale Marriott McDowell Mountains King Suite

Scottsdale Marriott McDowell Mountains King Bathroom


Being able to see the HGV resort in person, I think it would have been fine if I had stayed compared to the Scottsdale Marriott. Overall, the hotel was sufficient and all rooms were suites. A little dated (who has separate shower and bathtubs?), the hotel cost was super reasonable. 

The hotel does have a resort fee which included free tickets to the Musical Instrument Museum. My local friend had recommended me to visit the museum and I ended up having a free morning. The museum was a 15 minute drive from the hotel and is super kid friendly. Funded by a former Target executive, the museum is very nice and covers the entire globe. Definitely worth the trip and made the resort fee from the Marriott reasonable.

The main focus on this trip was meeting up with old friends in town for a conference as well as visiting friends residing in Phoenix. Outside of the museum visit, there was a lot of dining.

Dining

Cibo - Met my friend at this italian pizzeria restaurant for lunch. Rated well on social media, my friend has only had dinner at this restaurant. Their lunch menu was mostly pizza and we shared a few pies. Overall, the food was good and the prices reasonable but my vote still goes to Pizza a Metro.

Valentine - an eclectic restaurant, I digged the vibe. A former cleaners, the facility is a combination coffee shop, restaurant, wine bar and furniture. It is definitely new american food being served and I enjoyed my tonkatsu pork chop with biscuits. The assortment of pastries were interesting with local tastes.
Valentine

Valentine Trio Tacos


Valentine morning pastries

Valentine Tonkatsu Pork with biscuits and eggs


Macayo's Mexican Food - the phoenix local chain version of El Torito, the americanized mexican food was up to expectations. Due to the location of where the friends live, the restaurant was the only few that existed in this neighborhood.

Duck Donuts - sitting in the same plaza as Macayo's, I opted to order six donuts to share with friends. Everyone enjoyed it and it was interesting to see how far Duck Donuts has come.

Hash Kitchen - other friends wanted to meet here for Sunday brunch. Be forewarned that the DJ plays music very loudly and you cannot hear much of anything. The make your own topping bloody mary bar still draws crowds and the food is still good.
Hash Kitchen Bloody Mary

Hash Kitchen Carnitas Hash

Hash Kitchen Strawberry Shortcake Pancake


Proof Bread - a sourdough based bakery, the sourdough bread is good! As I arrived near closing time, there wasn't much else available but I was able to get an almost croissant. I'm not sure about recommending the croissant because I do enjoy flaky buttery croissants and the sourdough doesn't really mesh with my idea of a croissant.

Scottsdale Marriott - the hotel restaurant offered hearty breakfast fare that is satisfying. I enjoyed my avocado toast and eggs.
Scottsdale Marriott


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

New York City