Arizona

I've flown into Phoenix for work and extending the stay to watch the 'SC game. I flew on United and noticed that the LAX United terminal has some new eateries. When 9/11 hit, United's terminal 8 lost so much business that the concession closed down. It seems business must have picked up because there are new eateries such as Karl Straus and Gordon Biersch. I'm happy to see that there are more options now!


Flew into Phoenix, picked up my rental and headed to Tucson. I opted to rent from Thrifty and got a Subaru Impreza. My first time driving a Subaru sedan, it was a pleasant experience. Nice amount of power for a compact car but the trunk space was a little odd. Got into Tucson late and checked into the Hampton Inn Tucson North. The hotel seems to run some random raffle as I was left a bag of goodies because I was the "guest of the day." I got a little hungry and looked around for some eating options. Apparently, alot of restaurants close at 9 pm and I was out of luck unless I opted for fast food. Found a Sonic Drive-In and enjoyed my sandwich, tater tots, and strawberry limeade (Of course!!!).

Spent the day tooling around the University of Arizona. I always forget how very big their student center is and how very corporate food courty it feels with all the eateries both "independent" and popular fast food chains and service providers. Then again, I think the University is one of the biggest things in town.

Got into Phoenix in the evening and checked into the Hampton Inn Phoenix Airport North. The facility is about 8 years old per the front desk people but they underwent renovations about three years ago. If Hampton Inns can be full service, this facility is the closest it can come to it. The lobby is fairly spacious with a large gift shop/pantry, the dining area is huge with flat screen TV, the pool area included a jacuzzi, and the room layout isn't your typical design. I even got a welcome call after checking in. I wouldn't be suprised if it used to be another brand and became part of the Hampton Inn chain.

Couldn't decide what to do for dinner and finally settled on eating Indian. Ordered food for pick up at the Flavors of India restaurant and picked up chicken vindaloo. Wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly suprised at how tasty everything was and the quantity of food in the order.

Went to ASU the next day ands scoped out the campus as I was going to be cruising through again on Saturday. A very relaxed atmosphere probably because it was 90 degrees today! They certainly seem to have alot of corporate sponsorship. I was talking to an employee and she said that the University gives their employees a 75% discount on tuition for dependents or a minor fee for employees to take classes. Maybe I should consider a job in Arizona!






















Moved to the Hampton Inn Phoenix/Mesa. A slightly older feel to this Hampton, the front desk person said the hotel has been around for 20 years but underwent some room renovations a couple years back. Not too shabby, decent room size. I liked the personal touch in the bathroom with the towel origami! And the piece of chocolate helped too!!

Didn't have much luck on being decisive about dinner and ended up ordering Indian again from the Guru Palace. This time around, decided on the goat masala. It wasn't bad, a little chewy. It could have used some more time slow cooking.

Since I was done with the work portion of my trip, returned my rental car and picked up my personal rental car from Avis. Got a Kia Rio which is a very different car from the Subarau. I found it interesting that the car comes equipped with Sirius satellite radio, USB port, auxillory port but no power door locks which has to be manually locked at each door instead of a key turn switch.


















Checked into the Hampton Inn & Suites Tempe. I've probably stayed here in the past, I just can't remember when. The facility feels like an apartment complex instead of hotel since there are several buildings on the property and the rooms appear to be all suites. Cozy and comfortable, I feel like I'm living in an apartment instead of at a hotel.

Went out to eat at Arcadia Tavern. Lot of wood and dark paneling, the restaurant bar was a good spot for a light night meal. Had the Arcadia Fries, essentially loaded fries, and split a prime rib sandwich. All in all, not a healthy meal but a very tasty one! They had $3 Dos Equis pint special running all day that found its way to the table... ;)

After barely surviving the ASU game, stayed at the Hampton Inn Phoenix Midtown before leaving for home. I've stayed here in the past and the Hampton was as expected. Had brunch the next day at Dick's Hideaway. Enjoyed the southwestern style/cuisine, I really liked the Carne Adovada entree and would have swapped it for the Eggs Benedict in front of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City