Phoenix



Came out to Phoenix to visit and didn't realize that the BCS Fiesta Bowl is on the Monday of the weekend I'm in town. It would explain why all the hotels are either booked or have really high rates.

Due to scarcity, stayed at the Hampton Inn in Chandler. I usually don't stay out this way but the price was right.  Slightly older and located within a business park, the hotel served its purpose. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fridge which worked out well with taking home leftovers from dinner.  The only new thing I noticed was the breakfast. Seems like the waffle makers are becoming popular and they have this batter dispenser which makes it more efficient. You don't have batter sitting out and you don't waste a lot of cups to hold the batter. 

Went out to Sierra Bonita Grill for brunch. I had the banana chocolate muffin with my cowboy hash, very yummy. Even swiped some chile verde biscuits from another plate. Apparently, the restaurant is going through some management changes but the food is still yummy.

After a power nap, grabbed dinner at Mastro's in Scottsdale. Not exactly in the center of Scottsdale, this Mastro's seem to be a recent addition and it was jamming. The restaurant was able to seat us early since the reservation was for another 30 minutes. Shared the warm spinach salad (a little too vinegary), chef's cut rib eye, gorgonzola mac n cheese (a little too buttery for me) and creamed corn. The martinis are a little stiff here but generous in portions. Finished dinner with butter cake and chocolate sin cake. I waddled out of there and promptly went to sleep at the hotel.



The next day, moved to the Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport South. With the game in town, Auburn fans seem to have taken over everywhere and a lot of the hotels are sold out. I was able to find a last minute drop in rates at this location. I've been to this property in the past and have always enjoyed the convenient location. Also works well since my flight is at 6 am the next morning. The hotel has a newer feel and the lobby area is pretty spacious. No fridge here but I didn't really have a need for it. On a side note, this Hampton is one of the few Hamptons that offer a manager reception/happy hour during the week. I'm not sure what is offered but it seems nice if you're here during the week for business.

Cruised through Scottsdale for a brief detour and visited Sprinkles ordering the "The King" (banana cupcake with peanut butter frosting), Red Velvet and Vanilla cupcakes. With the college fans around, I found it cute that the red velvet was "Auburn Red Velvet" and the dark chocolate was "Ducky Chocolate." I have to admit, I don't know where the Duck fans were but I could tell you there were plenty of Auburn fans roaming around.

After some family visits, headed to Tasty Thai on 510 West Broadway, Tempe AZ 85282. From what I can tell, the restaurant just opened last month. The plaza is fairly empty of businesses and the restaurant was empty. Feeling adventurous, ordered the pumpkin curry with chicken. It was delish, I've been on a pumpkin kick lately and I've never seen any Thai restaurant offer a pumpkin curry. The thai ice tea appears freshly made, no powder stuff and not overly sweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City