Ho Chi Minh

Heading to Vietnam for personal business for a couple of days. Flew United Airlines on this particular trip. This is my first trip post-merger and it is interesting to see the changes implemented. It was good to see that the United policy of free booze on international flights was still in effect so I did not need my drink coupons. On the way to Vietnam, I was given upgrades on the short segments which was unexpected but welcome. The segment from Hong Kong to Saigon was a change from the past. It appears that United is using Continental planes for Southeast Asia routes and this particular segment was a smaller plane. I did miss the bigger plane United used to use for this segment. I have found that the Continental equipment now being used is not as nice as the United counterparts. Also, the headphones are not as nice and it still uses the two prong adapter to use. I can only assume that it will all be consistent in the next few years.


Landed into Ho Chi Minh without incident and was suprised to see my grandmother as my ride to the house. I spent the next few days reacquainting myself with mangoes and local foods. Between the family meals and cousins treating me out to dinners, I was pretty full even if I cannot remember the restaurants now. One thing that has changed in the restaurant scene for me is the ownership to Quon An Ngon restaurant. It is my favorite restaurant and hope the new owners keep the same level of quality. Unfortunately, I did not go this time around. 


My only "daily" routine was going to the local market near the house. It was interesting to see how markets work. Definitely not American/Western standards but no one is dead so it must be ok right? No one seems bothered this woman is selling shrimp out of a bucket in the middle of the street. :p



At the behest of my siblings, I went out to An Dong plaza to get some souvenirs. Most tourists will go to Ben Thanh market because that is where they are sent. If you want the same souvenirs for a third of the cost, then An Dong is your better bet. Downtown Saigon has changed some since my last visit. More foreign investment is apparent with new high rises being built. Like any other high end high rise in a developing country, most of the retail shops are empty with mostly window shoppers walking around.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City