San Francisco

If you had asked me before the summer started if I was going to be in the Bay area, I would have said I can't imagine why I would need to be. Now that summer is winding down, I did happen to go quite often!

I flew up on United Airlines and was in the city relatively quickly. Probably an all time record from SFO via Bart to the Financial District. I checked into the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. I've always liked the location of this hotel due to its proximity to most of the city attractions - Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and Embacadero. Personally, I would say that the hotel is in Chinatown but I can see why that naming would not make it attractive to the general public.

I was hoping to get a double bed room but this particular weekend seemed very popular. Double bed rooms were a hot commodity but the front desk did send up a rollaway to compensate. I will say that hotel rooms are generally small in this city and I was wondering how a rollaway would fit once I walked into the room. As you can see, the rollaway is the size of a twin....enough for one person or child. :p
Hilton SF Financial District hotel room with rollaway bed

After checking in, went out to The Republic to watch college football games. This particular bar is a favorite with alumni from the Pac-12 conference but no longer living in their college cities. Come early because the bar gets really packed once the games start showing on the TV. The mac 'n cheese with bacon was good. So was the breakfast burrito and chicken wings! :) I did find their cocktails tasty as I slurped down a couple of 'cougar juice' drinks.

When the game ended, wandered over to The Ice Cream Bar. I originally saw this place featured on Blackboard Eats but never made it. Out of curiosity, I came by and had an ice cream sandwich made of sweet corn cookies and bourbon malt peanut butter cookies ice cream. For some reason, the ice cream flavor reminded me of salted caramel.

Afterwards, wandered back to the hotel and completely crashed. Woke up early the next morning to grab breakfast before my morning flight. Shared a flight of beignets and fried catfish eggs benedict at Brenda's. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the food. Southern cooking and bbq are not foods done well in the Bay area vegan conscious crowd. The beignets are not typical of what you would find in New Orleans. Then again, beignets are generally not stuffed so I understood why the dough had a heavier feel. I found the crawfish beignet the best of the four flavors offered.

Flight of beignets - crawfish, apple, chocolate, plain

Crawfish beignet
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City