Last Day in Barcelona

 My last full day in Barcelona! Going out with a bang!!

Exterior La Sagrada Familia
Interior La Sagrada Familia


Interior entrance area La Sagrada Familia


Ceiling of La Sagrada Familia

The plan was to head out to La Sagrada Familia at the crack of dawn. Well, I didn't manage the crack but it was within the first hour of opening. The line was still around half the block but the line was moving faster than the previous day. Outside, La Sagrada Familia looks amazing. It was hard to know what to expect inside but I was blown away from the design inside. The main room was designed to look like a clearing in a forest. The building pillars mimicked tree structure to give that natural design. Gaudi never completed the church design in his lifetime.The city has revitalized itself to complete the work. There are parts of the cathedral that is under construction and off limits to the public. It is slated to be completed by 2026. The fact that in today's times, computers are baffled to complete the design demonstrates how far advanced Gaudi's architecture was for his day.
Pork over potatoes
 
For dinner, took a colleague's recommendation and had dinner at the Ohla Gastropub on the ground floor of the Ohla Hotel. Luckily for me, most restaurants carry english menus or I would have had to break out the phone and do some quick translating to decipher the menus. The setting was fitting for a five star hotel. The fanciest ambience for dinner that I've had in Spain. The portions were not as big as previous meals but the service was quick and excellent. A nice change of pace!
After dinner, walked to La Rambla to check out the local night scene. Popped into a random bar and was told that dance clubs don't start until midnight. It is also the reason why things are semi-quiet because people aren't ready yet to hit the clubs. I made the comment that Barcelona is perfect for my night-owl siblings. Entrepreneurial fellows will sell you cans of beer on the street if you didn't want to go inside the bars/cafes. The cops do chase these individuals if they catch them selling. So don't think that it is ok to buy a can of beer on the streets of Barcelona! :)

Turkish food near Palu Guell

Yummy turkish wrap
Before heading back to the hotel, I went back to the Turkish takeaways near Palau Guell. I ordered a wrap but didn't get far since it was consumed fairly quickly. Yes, it was that tasty that I had to go back at midnight before going to sleep. :) Given that my flight back to the States was a super early flight, I was not up for an all-nighter. After filling my tummy with yummy Turkish food, visited the Hard Rock Barcelona for last drinks before ending the night. I found it ironic that I would end up at an American themed restaurant bar in Spain. hehe
Barcelona Airport

As a last note about travel logistics. Taxis in Barcelona do not mess around. I had requested for a taxi for the airport with the hotel staff. Imagine my surprise that there was already 9 euros on the meter when I trundled into the cab. What seems to happen is that the taxi starts the meter as soon as they arrive at the hotel. The time it took for me to get from my hotel room to the lobby and to check out costed me 9 euros. :\ Plan your time and be early for your taxi to minimize the cab waiting fare!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City