Waikiki!

I'm back in Hawaii! For another conference!

Went on United and checked into the Hilton Grand Vacations in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Even though I am here for the conference, I opted to reduce my employer's cost by using my timeshare rather than booking hotel rooms for all but the last night of my conference.

I don't recall ever staying at the Lagoon tower or it has been a very long time. It looks like the Lagoon tower is one of the original timeshare towers. A little dated in décor, the location is nice as you are in the middle of the hotel complex. The only drawback is that the windows are single pane and the pool below is a bit noisy during the day. Otherwise, I found the room layout functional and suitable for my needs.

Met up with friends and ordered takeout from the Alley Restaurant Bar & Grill. This time I tried the fried pork chops and tasty chicken. I think the fried pork chop may have msg as I had a killer headache the next day and dehydrated. Don't eat a lot of it at once! I also ordered the chocolate insanity cake and the strawberry crunch cake. I actually found that I liked the crunch cake better than the chocolate.

Grabbed breakfast at the Aloha Kitchen on 432 Ena Rd, Honolulu, HI 96815 for fancy soufflé pancakes. Afterwards, grabbed snacks at Musubi Iyasume Cafe and Kona Coffee Purveyors/B Patisserie. Since I was only staying in the timeshare location for a few nights, it was easier to load up on reheatable food than buying food to cook. Grabbed my favorite assortment of musubis and small bento box. Depending on which location in Waikiki you go, one is cash only. Luckily I had cash on hand to pay for my small bag. Around the corner to Iyasume is B Patisserie. I always enjoy the Kough Amman, as good as Dominique Ansel. One of these days, I will visit the actual bakery in San Francisco. For now, I will continue enjoying their chocolate chip cookies and baked goods in their shared space with Kona Coffee Purveyors.

Since I was here for the conference, I was able to sample the catering offered in the Hawaii Convention Center. Whoever caters this place, they have very tasty food. I enjoyed all the meals and bites offered at the conference.

The next day, I went to two receptions at the Hilton. The first reception had a Scottish theme since the next year's venue would be in Edinburgh. The beef wellington bites were awesome, the fish and chips were ok (hard to do fried foods buffet style), and the desserts were tasty. The second reception was at the Tropics Grill. Despite being at the Hilton many many times, I have only gone into Tropics Grill once and it was for the comped breakfast. The assortment of appetizers ordered by the host was tasty and I think I would be ok going into Tropics to eat next time I'm here.

I also checked into the hotel side of the property, Hilton Hawaiian Village and was given a room in the Rainbow Tower. I had initially looked at another tower because I've always stayed in the Rainbow Tower but the early check in had me rerouted back to the Rainbow Tower.
Hilton Hawaiian Village Double Room


For dinner, I went to Roy's Hawaii Kai. This is THE original Roy's location and I wanted to see if it was different from the mainland chain locations. Overall, the ambiance reminded me of Alan Wong's in the sense that it was inside a corporate building. Once you step inside the restaurant, you do feel like you are in a different world. The spicy garlic ahi roll was pretty tasty. I tried the trio fish sampler of onaga, shutome and salmon. My favorite was the onaga. For dessert, the seasonal dessert is a white chocolate ube lava cake and it was pretty awesome.
Roy's Trio Sampler

Roy's

Roy's Lava Souffle Cakes


The next day, flew home on United via Hilo. Unfortunately, my layover was in the evening and Big Island Candies was closed. I will have to hit the cookie place next time on Big Island. Hilo International Airport hasn't changed much in the last ten years. There is now a small bar inside and a large gift shop. Otherwise, the same sleepy airport I've remembered.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City