New Haven

On my roadtrip from Boston to New York, the monotony of driving needed to be broken up. A pit stop in New Haven was in order. I have never been to Connecticut and can now strike that off. Before getting into New Haven, made a pit stop at Costco in Springfield, Massachusetts to grab some snacks and do more shopping.

Passed through Hartford, Connecticut and it seemed like a nice enough town. I always see the city name for financial companies. I pictured a more city like feel but it felt like a small town as I cruised through on the highway.
Hampton Inn West Haven South New Haven King Room

Checked into the Hampton Inn and Suites West Haven South New Haven. The rooms were spacious as expected for a small town. In some respects, the décor reminded me of the Drury Inn when I stayed in Flagstaff, Arizona.

I have been regaled over the years of this clam pizza by Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana. Something about uniqueness and coal fired pizza. I do enjoy the NYC style pizza and Grimaldi's remains my favorite. I went to the New Haven location as it is the original location. I did not know that there were actually two restaurants with the same address. I can only assume that they built a second building next to their first location to handle overflow. The second location sits in the parking lot and appears to look like a temporary building but the line was shorter than the other. I opted for that one and don't know if it makes a difference.

The pizzas are very large, there were two orders of medium pizzas and it was too much for our group of three adults and two kids. I also spied white birch beer on the drink menu. I'm not usually a shellfish kind of person but I did enjoy the clam pizza. The regular pizza of salami and pepperoni was also good. I dig the white birch beer which reminded me of cream soda. Overall, it was a good experience but nothing I would drive out of my way to get.

The next morning, the kids wanted to play in the pool. I don't normally spend much time in Hampton Inn pools but it was indoors and the weather was very muggy and hot. This particular Hampton pool is indoors and heated. I was surprised at how warm the pool was heated especially in the middle of a hot summer but it worked out. I actually felt cooler when I was outside the pool. It was also fairly spacious inside and the pool was a good size.

On the way out, I was tempted to stop at the Pez Visitor Center. I ended up skipping it because the website stated that the production floor was on break. I wasn't interested in paying admission to buy merchandise from the gift store. I suppose there are more things to the visitor center but I didn't think it worth the effort if the production facility was dark. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City