La Jolla, California

I had a quick work event at UC San Diego and returned to the area after my Carlsbad trip. I mostly stayed on campus in between buildings and found it quite nice. The work event required me to stay two nights and I was able to see and walk around the campus more than I normally would. Overall, I found the campus impressive especially since it seems they are constantly building new buildings.
UCSD view from one of the buildings to ocean

For dining options, I visited a few eateries locally when not fed by my work host.

Sprinkles - there is a location in La Jolla and it was convenient to swing by and grab my favorite cupcakes.

Which Wich - in a plaza down the street from Sprinkles, there is a which wich location and I was able to get my favorite items to take back to the hotel. I get tired of scrambled eggs in hotel breakfast buffets so I ordered a sandwich I could eat for breakfast.

Betty's Pie Whole - Always in the market for good pie, I found the strawberry rhubarb and the thanksgiving pot pie tasty treats. If you're in the Encinitas area, definitely make the stop. The location houses two types of bakerys by the same owner. Elizabethan Desserts is the main "theme" and they also sell a good ooey gooey butter cake.

For this trip, I stayed at the Homewood Suites San Diego - Del Mar. It was convenient enough and reasonably priced. I also liked the idea I would be in a bigger room during this stay. I didn't use the kitchen much but I liked the option. It also helped to store my extra food or drinks in the full size refridgerator.

I was able to spend a few hours at the San Diego Zoo before heading home. It's likely been a few decades since I last visited this venue. Due to inclimate weather, I decided to hop on the double-decker bus tour that goes throughout the zoo. I was able to see most of the zoo when the rains started and ducked into the reptile area waiting for the rains to die down. Overall, it was nice enough zoo and I was able to get a couple of stuffed animals as souvenirs from my work host.

My souvenir cheetah


San Diego Zoo elephant

San Diego Zoo reptile exhibit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City