San Diego

Looking back, I've been to San Diego and vicinity quite a bit this year particularly in the past 30 days! Between conferences and work events, I've returned this time for some college football. On the way down to San Diego, I tried to make a pit stop at Betty's Pie Whole and found that they had closed for the holiday. Saddened and hungy, I went next door to Pho Ever. A rather high end looking Vietnamese restaurant (there's a bar inside), the food was good! The pho has a stronger anise flavor. It is a bit pricier than the typical run of the mill pho restaurant but I'm sure you're helping to pay for the ambiance and the rent. They also have a lunch special add-on. For $1.50, you can get a free drink and egg roll or spring roll. It's not a bad option. The spring roll is better than the egg roll.

Stayed at the San Diego Marriott La Jolla. Unfortunately, the room was not available and so I opted to head out to the SDCCU Stadium. The room ended up being ready but I was called after leave the parking garage and opted to stay out. I was given a king room on the concierge level. This is one of my few true Marriott hotel stays. Since I was placed on the concierge level, I had access to the M club and it was a nicely appointed space on lobby level. The hotel does feel like it was recently renovated. The sofa bed in the room is not typical but it works out well if you needed one.
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
I did swing by Sprinkles and scored six cupcakes for free. The store location was undergoing a new register system and the clerk didn't know how to manually charge credit cards. Their loss is my gain!

After attending the football game, my opinion of the SDCCU stadium is pretty boring. I thought Rogers Centre in Toronto was plain but SDCCU stadium takes the cake. The only thing you can buy besides beer is hot dogs, nachos, popcorn and chicken wings with fries. There were two food trucks one selling tacos and the other selling coffee. I think I've seen swap meets with more variety. It's a shame but I can see why the Chargers left San Diego. SDSU is supposed to take over the stadium and update the venue. I'm not sure how strong the Athletics Department is but that's quite the undertaking. On the bright side, the pre and half time shows were very good! I don't know if it is a thing now but this is the second game were paratroopers are floating into the stadium.

For dinner, I went to Cafe de Partie. I was looking for some late night eateries and came across this small section of Korean cafes and restaurants in north San Diego. From the looks of the area, it is mostly Korean but the San Diego tourism department considers this area "asian restaurant row." I liked that this cafe served both savory and sweet dishes. I enjoyed my pasta carbonara and my colleague enjoyed the tom yum kha spaghetti. We both ordered two types of souffle pancakes - creme brulee and very berry. I ended up liking the very berry better. I also ordered a mille crepe cake - coconut - and it was tastier than the one I had in New York by Lady M.

Café de Partie Pasta Carbonara

Cafe de Partie Souffle pancakes



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City