Big Island

With the new travel rules in place for Hawaii, I finally returned to Big Island after three unsuccessful plans earlier in the year. I made several changes to my United itinerary but it worked out since there were no change fees. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to change my timeshare reservation as easily (losing my reservation fee) but happy to stay at Kings Land instead of the Bay Club. The main difference for HGVC timeshare owners is that there are no access to the Hilton pools without a fee. Originally, I was going to stay for 8 nights but cut it in half. So the Bay Club became less attractive AND Kings Land reopened to tourism.

After passing the second screening at Ellison Onizuka Kona Airport, we grabbed our Avis rental. Avis has consolidated its operations and operates out of the Budget office. The agent didn't try to upsell us and we headed out with a Chrysler 300. Mental note, black cars are super hot especially with the panoramic sunroof.

After checking in, we were informed that the bar had just reopened the day before so I was happy to hear that I could order lava flows. The breakfast option was not available (maybe later when more tourists are here). 

Dining

Broke Da Mouth at 75-5864 Walua Rd, Kailua Kona, HI 96740 - one of our favorite restaurants in Kona. It was sad to see that they couldn't keep their expanded location and reverted back to their original kitchen and sharing it with a korean restaurant too. The menu is pared down but the garlic chicken is still tasty as ever. I also ordered the Ube ice cream pie. It is really made to be shared with four people but it is doable with two. Just don't expect to be hungry for awhile.

Kona Coffee & Tea - I was hoping to visit some coffee farms but due to current state, it wasn't to be. I opted to go to a retail coffee shop and see if I can get some coffee and buy some Kona coffee at the same time. Scored some beans with a Black Friday deal and enjoyed a brewed cup on the patio.

McDonald's - Unfortunately, I couldn't find any taro pies at the Kona locations, Waimea and Hilo locations. Seems sold out on the entire island.

Shopping

Walmart - I usually cruise through to buy my favorite bulgogi sauce and char siu sauce. Not to be had on this trip, I opted to buy some tops (as I misjudged what I packed) and grabbed some new sauces not seen before. Hopefully, inventory improves next time I'm back on the island.

Costco - luckily my favorite furikake shrimp chips by Ono is still in stock. Other staples like Ocean Vodka, Koloa Rum, Redondo's Portuguese sausage, and Roy's 10% Kona coffee did not disappoint. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City