Nashville/Cookeville

So with a few segments away from getting 1K status on United, I decided to grab the cheapest flight and it ended with me going to Nashville. I haven’t been to Nashville in awhile and my partner wanted to visit some friends we haven’t seen in almost 10 years. Given the length of time, the Nashville International Airport has dramatically changed and modernized. I’m sure the growth in the state population had something to do with this. Because of the short time I had in Nashville, I bought a few local whiskeys from the airport gift shops. It was the closest I was going to get to these distilleries and bought a few bottles of only in Tennessee whiskeys.

So I decided to check out the Conrad Nashville and spend the weekend at one of the newest US Conrads. The hotel is not in downtown (music row) but it is close via taxi. The area looks like a commercial area that is slowly changing or at least attracting a variety of hotels, restaurants, and bars. 

Overall, I did enjoy my stay at the Conrad. As typical of US locations, no cute little rubber ducky or plush toy mascot in the room. Since I recently stayed at the Conrad Las Vegas, the room styling was very reminiscent of the Las Vegas location. If you told me the same architects were involved, I would not be surprised.

With the food credit for Hilton Diamond members, I was able to mostly enjoy eating at the hotel restaurant without too much out of pocket costs. I did find the breakfast options really good and would definitely be willing to go back to eat.

Unfortunately, it rained the free day I had in Nashville so I didn’t opt to do much except staying in the local neighborhood of the hotel. The next day, we rented a car from Avis and spent the day in Cookeville.

Dining

Husk - Between an Amex offer and a desire to see a different side of Nashville, I opted to try this restaurant’s farm to table theme. The restaurant is in a historical mansion and I loved the architecture. Ordered the biscuits, cheese and ham slider platter, duck, and southern vegetables. Overall, I found every item tasty. The southern vegetables is what I would call true irony because there was hardly any real vegetables. For dessert, I had the vinegar pie and it was also good. The names are not intended to sound appetizing it seems. It is quality food and the price point reflects that. 

Parlor Doughnuts - Near the Conrad, these doughnuts were tasty enough that I bought a box home the second time I visited. I also liked that they have dog doughnuts too. So did my dogs. It’s almost like a cronut but not quite. 

Scout’s Pub - A nice bar restaurant near the Conrad, dropped in for a small bite because it was too late for lunch and too close to dinner. I enjoyed the peanut butter stout on tap and the food was good. Service was quick and friendly. The restaurant is named after the owner’s dog so I’m pretty sure that the patio has dogs during the summer.

Hix Farm Brewery (Cookeville) - after having a traditional southern breakfast with our friends, we decided digest our food further with beer. The brewery is one of their favorites and it is a nice space and good selection of beers. 

Lazy Cow Creamery (Cookeville)- So I always love honeycomb ice cream and not any creamery can do so. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had the flavor and promptly bought a pint. Also, the pistachio nut was bomb and almost demolished the pint as well.

Blue Aster - the casual restaurant inside the Conrad, this is where you can use your food and beverage credit if you’re a Diamond member. Overall, I would come to this restaurant with or without the food credit. I enjoyed the cinnamon roll, southern benny and avocado toast. If I had caught them for afternoon tea, I may have been convinced to do it.

Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint -how can one come to Nashville and not have BBQ at least once? Due to the weather, I ordered via Uber and found the food delicious. Probably better if I was on site but one must do what one must do.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City