Maui

I normally go to Maui when I'm obligated by a timeshare presentation deal. And so I return to Maui with friends in tow to see the 'real' Hawaii. My friends had not been to Hawaii before and ended up in Oahu six months earlier for a work event. They did not enjoy the curated tourist destination that Waikiki has become and I told them that Maui would be different.

After arriving back from Turlock, I jumped onto a United Airlines flight to Kahului Airport. I was able to snag a Jeep rental from Alamo rental. Since I knew that the potential for off-road was high, I wanted to make sure I had a Jeep to navigate the island. Ultimately, I didn't need it as the road to Hana from the west was closed.

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas - The Westin is a nice property composed of several compounds. They fairly dominate the footprint in Kaanapali and the Nanea Ocean Villas is part of the Westin timeshare portfolio. Although we enjoyed the space, it was almost convincing to get the timeshare but my commitment to Hilton and upping our membership knocked out the possibility. If you've seen prior blogs, the rooms are still the same. Compared to the other Westin timeshare layouts, the Nanea is probably the best in my opinion. I'm more in favor of 2 bedroom units that are designed wholly rather than piecing a one bedroom unit together with a studio. I get the efficiency of space but it isn't as ideal.

Westin Nanea Two Bedroom Suite Master King

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas 2 Bedroom 2nd Bedroom Queen

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas 2 bedroom 2nd bathroom

Westin Nanea Ocean Villas





Dining

Tin Roof Maui - Landed into the airport hungry and ordered out of this takeout only spot. The plate lunches were delicious, and I would have come back if I had more time during this trip. If you order online, you can skip the line and get your food as soon as you arrive.

Tin Roof Maui Garlic Shrimp


Tin Roof Maui Fried Chicken

Maui Coffee Roasters - I thought I would only like Kona coffee but the Maui Coffee Roasters might give Kona a good run for its money. Went twice during this trip and enjoyed the ube latte and Thai High Iced Latte. They also offer a small bakery selection, and the cookie bars are good.

Honoapiilani Food Truck Park - Located at 130 Kai Malina Pkwy, Lahaina, HI 96761, it is about a 15 minute walk from the Westin. You will find an assortment of food trucks and the night we went by, folks got food for takeout from the offerings. Someone ordered Thai food, I got malasadas, and someone else got poke. Overall, the food was good and it was easy for everyone to get what they felt like eating.

Jack's Inn - Looking to have breakfast, I fell upon Jack's via Yelp located on 312 Alamaha St Kahului, HI 96732. Total hole in the wall with the absolute BEST banana pancake ever!

Jack's Inn Banana Pancake


Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop - My friend wanted to try the pies here and I ordered an assortment. Overall, the pies are good but they aren't large for $10. Whole pies at gourmet pie shops are about $30 to $50, so I guess it is a good price but I'm not enamored enough to get it all the time.

Monkeypod - My friend wanted to try the mai tai at Monkeypod so we made the trek to Whaler's Village during happy hour to try it out. Alot of people like Monkeypod but I'm ok with the food options. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here.

Monkeypod cheesecake


Lappert's Ice Cream - While in the Shops at Wailea, I introduced my friends to Lappert's Ice Cream. It hit the spot as they also sell coffee.


Island Vintage Shave Ice - I opted to try the shave ice here and will say it is the only time I've regretted getting shave ice. 

McDonald's - Of course, I made a pit stop at McDonald's but I'm finding that they are no longer carrying local flavors for their fried pies. It has been only apple the last few times I've been back to the islands.

Ululani's Shave Ice - Redemption around the corner for shave ice! Much better option if you're in Maui.

Ululani's Shave Ice

The Pint & Cork - Looking for a spot to sit and take a break after leaving Makena State Beach Park, this bar restaurant inside the Shops at Wailea was a good spot. We ended up hitting happy hour time and enjoyed some appetizers and beers. I really enjoyed their corn chowder, the sliders were the only miss. Service was quick and friendly.

Pint & Cork Corn Chowder


Hana Farms Roadside Stand - As we got nearer to Hana and seeing many roadside eateries closed, we came upon the only open eatery since we started on the trip (thank goodness we brought snacks). Not knowing what to expect, Hana Farms ended up being one of the best pizzas I've had in Hawaii. The salad was also super fresh and big enough to feed three people. The farms also sells coffee and honey at their barista counter. Overall, I highly recommend.

Hana Farms Garden Salad


Hana Farms Pizza












Activities 

Ho'okipa Beach Park - Took the natural views in at this beach park. As our group started on the road to hana from the northeast side of the island, we had to stop to touch the ocean water and watch some surfers.



Garden of Eden Arboretum - Many of the waterfall spots I stopped at on a previous trip was either blocked or the entrances overgrown. The garden was a good and easy pit stop to enjoy some views of the landscape and a waterfall. There is an entrance fee based on people. I did find it enjoyable that someone took the time to develop this area into a garden and appreciate the effort they made. So the entrance fee didn't seem unreasonable. It ended up working out as I didn't make reservations for Wai'anapanapa State Park near Hana.



Ocean Vodka Organic Farm & Distillery - Whenever in Hawaii, I always get Ocean Vodka at Costco to consume while on vacation. Of course, being on Maui, I had to stop at their farm on the way to Haleakala. The grounds are gorgeous with great views of Maui. The bread pudding is awesome too! They do offer tastings but we came at a bad time so we ordered from the restaurant drinks which works out to the same price minus the tour part. They do have exclusive liquor and it was tasty enough to buy and bring back home.

Ocean Vodka Organic Farm & Distillery

Haleakala State Park - Unfortunately, we were not able to snap a sunrise reservation and opted to head up the mountain during the morning rather than at 3 am. It was still super cold at the top and with the overcast, definitely chilly. I was able to stop at the visitor center to pick up the retro poster series of the Hawaii state parks (the other is on Big Island). Even though no one was at the entrance, you're suppose to pay the entry fee so I was unable to show my park pass that I just got at Yosemite. 



Whaler's Village - The local shopping plaza in Kaanapali, the Westin offers shuttle service so it was a convenient way to either roundtrip or walk one way and take the shuttle. An assortment of restaurants and shopping, I ended up visiting some retail stores purchasing local items. I found a diffuser with pikake and really liked it at Soha Living. It is also the first place I've seen Maile products in a store (outside of the hotels).

Makena State Park - Popular spot for those staying at the south side of the island. One of the few state beach parks that is developed enough to have its own portables, parking meters, and lifeguards. Sometimes, you can see whales coming through in February.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City