Traveled out to the Valley of the Sun aka Phoenix for a college football game. Decided to make it a road trip and headed out late Friday evening. Since I was coming in late, I opted to stay somewhere relatively cheap without any resort amenities. Checked into the Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix-Biltmore hotel. The hotel was a little dated but the room was roomy for the group. The breakfast buffet was passable, I opted to have waffles since the buffet had a self serve waffle maker. I'm never a fan of scrambled eggs buffet style, just always too runny or dry... Hopped to the Sheraton Desert Oasis Villas hotel the next day. I wanted to hit the pool killing some time before the game in the evening. I didn't realize that this hotel was a timeshare resort. I would call this hotel a medium tier timeshare hotel and the clients tend to be retirees. At least as evidenced by the people in the pool. You can tell that the hotel caters to this group as the bathroom in the room was built ...
I had booked this trip a year earlier hoping that the pandemic would have resided. Unfortunately, a lot of the country is still in lockdown and my brother was not able to join me on this trip. Timing wise, I was able to luck into the biggest snow dumps of the season. Salt Lake International Airport is undergoing renovations and the first phase has opened. Fun fact, the airport turned 100 in December 2020. Upon arrival, I thought the airport looked different but given my lack of travel recently and the lateness of my arrival, I chalked it up to tired eyes. One of the newest upgrades I noticed was the oversized baggage claim. In the past, it would be chucked out through a garage style opening. Now, there are upright luggage totes that can accommodate oversized luggage. It is more efficient as it allows you to see what was dispensed AND at a higher volume. Since I was snowboarding solo, I opted to fly in late at night and stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City A...
With little snafus, my group made their way to LAX and boarded the United Flight to Tokyo. Our little group was scattered throughout the plane, couple of us was in business class, one in economy plus, and rest in economy. I snucked back to the other sections of the plane to give my friends the little alcohol bottles and ghiradelli chocolates. I've never been to Japan (if you don't count the number of layovers through Narita in my previous travels). Went through customs and got my first Japanese visa stamp. True to the stereotype, even the visas are 'advanced.' No stamps, stickers with some type of barcode. Got to the train station easily enough. I have to admit, mass transit is easy in Japan. Took a bullet train to Kyoto, it reminded me of a very upscale and cleaner version of the Amtrak system. After getting into the Kyoto station, we traversed miles of stairs both up and down to get to the subway station to get to our Ryokan. I was initially worried that our late arr...
Comments