Waikiki

I initially hoped to use my companion certificate on United to fly out but timing did not work out for me. Still, I wanted to see friends before a baby arrived and hopped out to Hawaii for a quick trip.

Checked into the Hokulani Waikiki HGVC. This particular timeshare property is more "city" like than resort. Rooms are a bit smaller and the pool isn't that big. However, you are also in the heart of Waikiki and easier to navigate the hustle and bustle.
Bathroom in Hokulani - tub water comes from ceiling

Timeshare policies are that you check out at 10 am but I didn't fly out until 10 pm that night. I opted to stay for the day at Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki. It's a new facility and right across from the International Marketplace and my favorite patisserie!

On the last day, I opted to book a room at the Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki. Even though I was not staying the night, I did want a place to crash for the day before the flight home. I was not able to check in at 10 am but the room was available by noon. I even got placed in a pool balcony king room. The hotel was a former Outrigger turned to HGI. I liked the patio on the pool deck.
King Room at HGI Waikiki

Pool deck balcony of King Room at HGI Waikiki
While waiting for the room to open up, I came across Aloha Lockers attached to the Westin Moana Surfrider. It is in the alley between the hotel and the beach park. I think it is a brilliant idea and the lockers allow in and out access. If you are wandering around Waikiki Beach, it is convenient to have the access. The small lockers have USB charging for your phone/mobile device.

Dining

I didn't eat much on the flight and was hungry. Walked back downstairs after throwing all the luggage in the room and wandered into Yard House. I haven't been in a long time and had a gift card on me. It was also easy since it was a two minute walk down Waikiki Walk. I really enjoyed my squid ink seafood spaghetti (Shrimp & Calamari Diablo).

Had brunch at Heavenly Lifestyle Café inside the Shoreline Hotel. I have always seen lines down the steps whenever I stopped at Musubi & Bento Iyasume. (I would later go to the other Iyasume location inside the Pacific Monarch Hotel for more musubis.) On this particular trip, opted to try the line and see what the deal was all about. I did grab a snack musubi from Iyasume next door in case the line was long. The wait was short and we were seated within 15 minutes. I enjoyed their take on Loco Moco. It seemed a healthier option with the red grain lentil rice and soy sauce glaze instead of curry. If you are looking for the "normal" loco moco, this is not your place. The eggs benedict with Kalua pig was tasty too.
Loco moco at Heavenly Lifestyle Cafe

Went to Kona Coffee Purveyors in the International Marketplace. I always enjoy the pastries inside their shared partner, B. Patisserie. One day I will visit their location in San Francisco but I'll take what they have in Waikiki for now. Grabbed a few Kouign Aman and a chocolate chip cookie for snacking later.

Went out drinking at The Brewseum. The museum of WWII history is still around and the drinks were still good. I also tried a ginger cider beer which was tasty. 

After visiting the brewery, went to Paia Fish Market. They have a killer deal of taco and beer for $7. Can't beat that deal. I ordered a snapper plate and it was good, I would not choose the home fries and opt for French fries next time.

Getting some exercise, I opted to walk around the International Marketplace and stopped at Kula & Ko Confectionary. I actually found two products from Big Island, Big Island Coffee Roasters Espresso Bites (apparently a coffee bar that can be eaten or dropped into hot milk) and Hamakua Toffee. Never really seen these products so they must be wholesalers. I bought a bag of mini pineapple cakes as well.

Friends brought over dinner from the Alley Restaurant. The tasty chicken and spicy shrimp was what I ordered. I think they overcooked the chicken this time around but I still enjoyed my meal.

Had some tasty shave ice at Island Vintage Shave Ice. The shave ice locations are part of the Island Vintage Coffee but I haven't tried the coffee yet. Not the cheapest but it is the best in the Waikiki area. If you have no car, it is pretty tasty and know that you opted to not pay the extra Uber money to get to Waiola.


Island Vintage Shave Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City