Flagstaff

Headed out to Flagstaff on a work trip. I had originally intended to fly in a little earlier to stay in Phoenix and/or snowboard in Flagstaff but the timing and snow did not work out. Luckily, as a 1K on United, I was able to move my flight to the next day and not have to eat a hotel night on my own. I did have to layover in Houston for a few hours to avoid overnighting. Apparently, Phoenix is a hot city to visit in February.

There are flights into Flagstaff but the airport is subject to weather and I opted to drive to Flagstaff from Phoenix rather than flying into Flagstaff. Grabbed my rental from Hertz. I don't know if it is a new process (I haven't rented from Hertz in a few years) but the Phoenix location assigns you to areas where you pick your vehicles. Similar to National but for everyone who rents. I opted for a Kia Soul. Since my rental was through Priceline, Hertz had no idea I was a Gold member in the reservation and I assume that this meant they viewed my reservation as a regular reservation. It's unfortunate that the make your own price option precludes Priceline from sharing your car rental account. It would be nice to get the priority checkin even though I didn't pay "full" price.

On the way to Flagstaff, grabbed a togo meal from BJ's Restaurants. I ordered the crispy chicken sandwich with steamed broccoli and it helped tide me over in the two hour drive. Checked into the Drury Inn and Suites Flagstaff and had dinner across the street at 1889 Bar and Grill. Overall, I liked the hotel. They offered evening snacks (typical bar grub) - nachos, hot dogs, etc. and two alcoholic beverages. The breakfast was a hot breakfast buffet. Simple and serviceable. The restaurant is pleasant inside but the food is very average. I would not return or I should have paid attention to the locals. They all ordered the salmon. My ribs were adequate, I was told it was a popular dish. Both venues are connected to Northern Arizona University which may explain a few things.
Drury Inn & Suites Flagstaff King Room

The next night, I had dinner at Criollo Latin Kitchen. I enjoyed my catfish tacos. It was definitely a better dinner than the previous night.

I was far enough away from Phoenix that I could not catch the last flight of the day so I opted to overnight at the Home2 Suites Phoenix Tempe ASU before my very early AM flight home. The Home2 Suites shares the same footprint with a Hilton Garden Inn. The room was nice but the location is a bit tricky to find and navigate. You are definitely here for work since there is nothing else around.
Home2 Suites Phoenix Tempe ASU

Grabbed dinner to go at Dickey's Barbecue Pit nearby and I enjoyed my ribs far more here than at 1889.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City