McHenry Illinois

Not too often that I go to Chicago and not be in Chicago. I hopped onto a flight for a quick weekend trip on United and landed into O'Hare International Airport. Spent two nights at the Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport hotel sandwiching a night at the Hampton Inn McHenry.

A "suburbs" trip included a brief first night stay at the Hilton because of the 1 am arrival. It was easier to walk over and fall asleep as quickly as possible. In the morning, I headed up to McHenry and stayed at the Hampton Inn. The drive from the airport to McHenry was about an hour. I forget how big houses can be in the Midwest for very low (in my opinion) prices.

Despite the freakish snowstorm in late April dumping four inches in the area, I still was able to get around. Visited the biggest Harley Davidson dealership ever (in my experience) and even watched an arm wrestling match with Jeff Dabe. Only when I mentioned it to someone did I realize that he was a "pro" in arm wrestling competitions. The dealership had a relationship with a local gym and they used the dealership space to host the competition.

Dining

Andiamo - inside the Hilton, the restaurant serves a typical breakfast buffet. I did find it unusual that they used a warming station to keep the pastries in. I liked that it was warm when eating a croissant.

Jameson's Original Charhouse - A local steakhouse chain, I enjoyed my full meal of rib eye steak. The onion soup was good as well as their molten brownie.

1401 West Restaurant - located inside the Chicago Marriott Oak Brook hotel, I joined a friend who was staying there and had the breakfast buffet. Better than the Hilton because of the omelet bar option, I was able to catch up with my friend and still enjoy a free breakfast. It was likelier a better option than the Hampton.

Brewpoint Coffee - I had another friend in the area and I wanted to give him a chance to meet up. I found the coffee shop through Yelp and thought it would be interesting. The review of "great place to study or work" caught my eye and convinced me to go. I opted for the specialty latte - Sacagawea - and it was tasty. A mocha with marshmallows and cinnamon, it was pleasant to sip while hanging out.

Lou Malnati's - Took a Utahan to this deep dish chain in Elk Grove Village and expose him to "Chicago deep dish pie." I think Lou and Giordano's are pretty even but I can find Giordano's outside of Illinois. So Lou Malnati was it for me. Also, I enjoy their chocolate chip pizza cookie. I did later find out that there are three locations in Arizona. Go figure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City