Sorrento

The next morning, I got up at the crack of dawn to pick up a 9 passengar van for an overnight trip to Sorrento. The goal for the day was to see Pompeii and visit the Amalfi coast. Unfortunately, I underestimated Roman traffic and was not able to get out of the city for a good solid two hours during morning traffic. By the time I was able to get to the Pompeii area, the lateness of the day and the cloudy weather did not make it viable. The only days it rained when I was in Italy was on my road trip days. Sigh.

I will say that the drive is pretty easy once you get out of the city. The freeways in Italy appear to be toll highways. I guess many Italians do not travel by car. I only realized afterwards that there are speed sensors placed throughout the highway and I’m crossing my fingers that I didn’t get a ticket.
View from executive loung at the Hilton Sorrento

Family Suite

The road to Sorrento off the highway actually reminded me of my Maui trip and the road to Hana. Once we were in Sorrento, I checked into the Hilton Sorrento Palace. For this hotel, I was able to find family style hotel rooms that allowed four people in a room! The hotel is gorgeous and worth the curvaceous road along the mountains to get to Sorrento. Since everyone was tired from the road trip, spent the afternoon in the executive lounge. For this particular Hilton, the lounge also has its own lap pool on the roof. It was actually one of the nicest Hilton Executive Lounges I have seen.

For dinner, we wandered to Da Gigino and trusting that Zagat would not fail us again. The service was a little slow but the seafood was absolutely fresh. I have never had mussels that delicious and I don’t even like seafood. The pasta was decent so an improvement over the Roman restaurants.
Mussels

Gnocchi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City