Rome Day 3

On this day, I opted for a walking tour of the city center and see all the public monuments in Rome. The goals for the day were to see the Spanish Steps, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain. After grabbing morning breakfast, one person of the group decided to opt out and stay in. The rest of the group headed out via bus to the city center. The first stop was the Pantheon. Of course, with these locations located in the CBD, we stopped along the way and perused the many shops and coffee houses while walking to the Pantheon. Once we arrived in Piazza della Rotonda, the Pantheon was an impressive building structure. I have found that the Italians like really large building structures even though the streets are narrow. Walking inside, you will find a constant recorded message of being quiet inside as a sign of respect as it is used as a church.  The architecture and age of the building is quite impressive.
Pantheon

Pantheon interior

 Afterwards, we wandered in the city center to do some high end window shopping. If I was of the mindset of looking at high end Italian designers, I might have been persuaded to purchase a purse or satchel. There were a lot of street hawkers pitching fake purses. I was surprised that they were that bold in front of the very stores they were imitating. I also came across the first McDonald’s in Rome, Italy. I will say that the McDonald’s ambiance is very different, it is almost Starbuck’s like with lots of woods and spacious seating areas. The menu was basic and featured a focaccia burger. I’m not sure if Italians are impressed by a focaccia burger but I suppose McDonald’s knows what they are doing. I did order a “share box” which is an assortment of croquettes of parmigiana spinach and brie with chicken nuggets. It was interesting mix but I don’t know if I would go get another. I also noticed that there were no pies on the  menu, just ice cream - lots of sundae variations. I will add that the McCafe’s were really good here, the desserts offered were high quality like the tiramisu.

Pressing on, we walked over to Fontana di Trevi. Used in movie backdrops, the fountain was massively crowded when we came upon the plaza. It was so crowded that we opted to stay near the shops and enjoy the architecture from a distance. In looking at the history of this fountain, an article popped up about how much money is thrown in annually on the myth that one will return to Rome. I suppose I am fated to not return since I did not throw any euros in. Although I did read that many people do some money fishing in the fountain to supplement their personal expenses.
Fontana di Trevi

One of the many things you will find in Rome is gelaterias. I am amazed that Italians are not fatter or diabetic with the amount of bakeries and gelaterias per square mile. Hopped into Valentino Gelateria on Via del Lavatore 96, 00187 Roma for a quick rest before heading out to the Spanish Steps.
Spanish Steps

Once we came to the Piazza di Spagna, the crowds had not dissipated but it was much more manageable to actually get near the steps. Another famous movie backdrop location, it was a very picturesque area with the church at the top of the steps and the Fontana della Barcaccia at the bottom of the Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti (Spanish Steps). The fountain is not pretty but seemed popular with people. Another behavior I noticed is that there are many fountains where people will get water to drink from. It didn’t seem sanitary to me but it must be safe since there were many individuals refilling their bottles with water.

After a long day of walking the streets, headed back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner. Sticking close to the hotel, we wandered over to Taverna Rossini. We tried an assortment of pasta dishes and pizzas in the quest for good Italian food. It was not found here but the meal was fine. We were still trying to figure out how not to get charged for bread as I’ve found the bread options not very good at the restaurants especially for 1.5 euros per basket. I will say that the desserts were very good!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City