Transit to Bali via Singapore!

So I am off to Bali for vacation. It isn't so easy of a destination on Star Alliance for some reason despite the heavy number of Asian partners. I ultimately chose to fly United Airlines to Singapore and then switch to Garuda Indonesia from Singapore to Denpasar. I made pit stops at SFO and HKG en route to Changi Airport. Luckily, my longest layover was at Changi Airport. My SFO layover was 3 hours but I intentionally booked it that way in case there were delays getting into SFO. With the weather conditions in that area, it is always 50/50 if flights can land into the airport. On this trip, no delays getting into SFO meant I was in the United Club lounge for most of the time. Not a bad spot to be if you have to wait in the international terminal. At one point, United Club advertised that there were meal options available for purchase but it must have failed. When I walked in, there were the same typical snack options available. At least the booze was an amenity they kept.
Fish entree on UA flight to Hong Kong
On my SFO to HKG flight, United offered wifi service on this particular plane. I was tempted to pay the $19.99 USD to access the internet but I thought I should entertain myself with movies. I thought I would opt for the internet on my return to while away the hours and connect with family and friends. At Hong Kong International, I had a very short layover. I did have time to buy some french macaroons from Fauchon. The macaroons were surprisingly good. I also made a pit stop at the United Club Lounge before getting to the gate. I always enjoy the international United Club locations because 1. there is food and 2. the food selection always has hot items. It also helps that I like the asian food served too!

Macaroons

Chicken Indian Curry at UA Club in Hong Kong!

When I arrived at Changi airport at midnight, I had hoped to kill time at the Kris Gold Lounge. Unfortunately, I was denied  access since my next flight was on Garuda Indonesia instead of a Star Alliance carrier. I guess they didn't care that I came from a Star Alliance partner. So I went over to a pay per use transit airport lounge inside the airport, Ambassador Transit Lounge, and paid $9 Singaporean to shower. I could have paid $35 Singaporean to chill at the lounge and take a nap but the price wasn't worth it given how nice Changi airport is and eateries are open 24 hours. The shower facilities were nice and was exactly needed during my 7 hour layover stint. After being on a plane and airports for almost 20 hours, I just wanted a shower. The transit lounge also offered a free bottle of water and snack for their customers. It was a nice touch.
Since the flight on Garuda was almost at 8 am, the transfer lounge desk wasn't open until 6 am to get boarding passes. Luckily, United had already routed my bags onto Garuda. I was able to let the Garuda folks know that my luggage was in the bowels of Changi Airport luggage hold and to haul it out. There are two transfer desks in Changi and I would advise if the airline is open at both desks to go to the one furthest away from the gate of departure. Everyone congregates to the closer one and the lines can get pretty long especially with first flights out for the day. The walking time between the two is 15 minutes so it is doable. Before boarding, I opted to get some breakfast in me in case Garuda 1. didn't offer food or 2. had food I wouldn't want to eat. Garuda should be joining SkyTeam at the end of the year. Until then, they are an independent regional airline and I certainly have no standing with them. I wouldn't even if they were part of SkyTeam but at least I'd get some Delta points. When I was able to get boarding passes, my seat assignment was in the back of the bus. Not knowing how my motion sickness would kick in, food seemed like a good option to get before getting on the plane. In my time at Changi, I had a mudpie and a latte from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, kaya toast breakfast set from Kaffe and Toast, and some baos from Hong Kong Sheng Kee Dessert (which I ended up not eating and throwing away). Compared to paying for access to the transit lounge, my money spent on food was cheaper and the waiting areas in the airport was nicer.
I will say that Garuda have certainly invested in new planes as I looked around the Boeing 737-800. Being in the back of the bus, it allowed me time to look at the new features like LED lighting, larger overhead bins, and in-seat TVs. The lighting also changes colors when the plane takes off. Pretty cool. The in-flight service was very nice and the meal was pretty good. I had my first taste of Indonesian food when the noodle entree was super spicy!
Garuda in-flight meal
I was pleasantly surprised when I landed at DenpensarAirport. The airport is undergoing an expansion but the existing structure is fairly ornate. In the airport, visitors can immediately get a visa before hitting the inspection desk. It is best to have some cash on hand, at least $25 USD equivalent, because the visa kiosk may not take credit cards or sole ATM machine may be crowded with folks trying to get cash. It just depends on how much queuing one likes to do.
Not really knowing what I would face at the airport I opted to arrange for pick-up from the Conrad Bali. The hard part with going into known tourist destinations with small airports is that the number of hawkers and illegal taxis can be overwhelming. I was happy to find that it was a good call after walking out of departures and seeing the large mass of people coming and going in such a small airport. Also, the rate of $20 USD for car service is a relative bargain.

Chicken club sandwich at pool bar
Checked into the Conrad Bali and opted to rest up. The room wasn't ready until normal check-in time and I had lunch at Azure, pool bar, to kill some time. The chicken club is done really well here and I would recommend getting that item above all the other selections. The sate is pretty tasty too.
It was great to be able to get into the room once it became available. It has been a 24+ hours of airports and planes. I was expecting Indonesia to be much more humid than it was when I landed. The weather forecast for the week was intermittent thunderstorms which may have accounted for the lack of humidity. After freshening up, had some drinks at the Lounge and then went to the lobby restaurant, East, to have a light dinner of nasi goreng before going to bed.
Welcome fruit plate with monkey at Conrad Bali

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City