Pismo Beach X2

I ended up heading to Pismo twice within 30 days of each other and so I'm consolidating the two trips into one post. The intent of both trips was to go off roading in the dunes. The first time was solo off roading and the second time was with a Facebook group I belong to.

Hotel

Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Maria - My go to when in the area, the Fairfield isn't the easiest location to get to off the 101 freeway. Compared to hotel options in the area like San Luis Obispo, Pismo, Avila, and Arroyo Grande, it is basic and inexpensive. Close enough to Pismo, I was willing to stay for a night and drive the 40 minutes to Pismo. It is functional and as a Titanium they often give me a suite option which makes it more appealing to return. Not many high-status Marriott people come through this location, so I think I end up getting good rooms. I still enjoy their breakfast options, I find the food tasting fresh and satisfying.

Vespera Resort - The major hotel chains AKA Marriott and Hilton seem to be investing in the area or at least encouraged franchise locations. Pismo has historically been a city with independent hotels which limits me as I'm more tied to the chains. Also the reason why I tend to stay at the Fairfield. Vespera became an Autograph Collection property under Marriott. I utilized my Marriott certificate to snag a night to see the resort and stay in Pismo proper. It is a very lovely hotel with a good restaurant and pet friendly (up to medium sized dogs). 


Vespera Resort King Bedroom

Vespera Resort Balcony Oceanfront View

Vespera Resort Beach View

Dining

Orcutt Burgers - Not in Pismo proper but off the 101 Freeway in Santa Maria, it is a local burger/diner restaurant. If you're looking for a solid choice of food options in a somewhat quick casual atmosphere, this hits the spot.

Pismo Fish & Chips - Around the corner to Vespera sits this local restaurant. There are a lot of seafood restaurants in the area. I found Pismo Fish & Chips good and if they also have some sidewalk tables to easily eat if you wanted to order take out. The dine in option can get tight depending on the time of day. I did laugh at the strawberry shortcake dessert. If you are hankering for some sara lee poundcake with strawberries, that is what you are going to get with half a can of whipped cream.

Pismo Fish & Chips

Pismo Fish & Chips Strawberry Shortcake


Sunsets at Pismo - On Pismo Pier, there are a number of food truck type eateries. One of them is Sunsets which also has alcohol. Ordered a quick appetizer and a drink. I can't remember much of the experience and assume that it was fine enough for where we were.

Shark Bites - Located on 246 Pomeroy Ave Pismo Beach, CA 93449, it is a cute little hole in the wall selling ice cream, shakes, and mini doughnuts. I went in on a lark and loved the mini doughnuts made fresh to order. A semi retired couple runs the eatery, mainly on the weekends. The best deal is the doughnut bucket. The shakes remind me of the social media shakes often depicted at Disneyland. If that is your thing, they have it too.

Shark Bites Mini Doughnuts Bucket


Hoagies - a 'bbq' sandwich shop, I was intrigued and ordered the Cali Cheesesteak. Super popular and large sandwiches, the sandwich was good and I would recommend if you're looking for a quick casual meal. Perfect for lunch as I was walking back from Shark Bites on the way back to Vespera.

T's Red Tacos - I keep seeing birria ramen hit social media platforms and decided to stop at this taco shop for it. It was super good to eat especially on a cold evening. The restaurant doesn't have much inside dining so I sat outside. The other food items were fine, elote was a little bland.

T's Elote

T's Birria Ramen

Pequin Coastal Cocina - located inside the Vespera, I used my breakfast voucher and had the avocado toast. It was really lovely. Some might find the prices a bit high but it is inside a five star hotel.

Pequin Biscuits & Gravy

Pequin Avocado Toast


Scorpion Bay Coffee Co. - a somewhat unique independent coffee shop, I liked their attempt. I didn't order any cayenne coffee but I enjoyed my mocha.

Cubanissimo Cuban Coffee House and Cafe - also in Santa Maria and across from Orcutt Burgers, I was pleasantly surprised to find a cuban restaurant in this area. Their coffee and flan was really good. I also enjoyed the Puerco Fritos. 

Cubanissimo Espresso

Cubanissimo Tostones, Sandwiches, Croquet

Cubanissimo Flan


Activity

Oceano Dunes - There is an ongoing 'debate' between off roaders/campers and environmental groups regarding the Dunes. I don't know much about the issue but from what I can see, it is a very windy place and any sand displacement may or may not be aggravated by off roaders. It is a fun place to drive around and it is nice to see that the campers/off roaders are respectful of the dunes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City