Big Island with a quick stop in Waikiki

Due to a Southwest Airlines promotion, went to visit the Big Island laying over in Oahu overnight. Ironically, this trip will trigger me going to Hawaii even more often through the timeshare ownership. Suffice it to say, I'm more committed now to visit Hawaii leaning towards visiting Maui more often. I also returned to Big Island because I was curious about the Kona Coffee Cultural Festival and wanted to learn more about the activities of this festival. After visiting, my impression of the Kona Coffee Cultural Festival is it is a loose collection of events across all the independent coffee farmers trying to promote their coffee practices and brand Kona Coffee. It is a little confusing to understand what is going on and their website/PR needs more work but I did enjoy myself and would come back again.

Due to how Southwest gets to Hawaii, I opted to take a night in Waikiki before taking the inter-island flight to Big Island the next day.

I was able to snag a Camaro from Hertz on Big Island. Hertz has partnered with United and Marriott for President Circle status. It is nice because you can pick up a fancy car if you're in the mood.

Hotel

The Laylow - Redeeming a hotel certificate, I opted to stay at this Autograph Hotel on this stay. I've seen the lobby many times as it sits across from the Hilton Garden Inn and within the International Marketplace. I really liked the way the hotel was laid out and what amenities was available. It is more boutique feeling than the other Marriott properties. Overall, I do like this hotel and location if you are not in need of a "resort." The hotel upgraded me to a junior suite and it was an interesting layout with the middle room divider furniture. The room divider creates a smaller space in front of the balcony to create either a work space or dining space. The room also has an alcove for kids or two more adults to share. It probably works best for a family.

The Laylow Welcome basket!

The Laylow King Suite

The Laylow King Suite

Ocean Tower, Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Hilton Waikoloa - Before the hotel converted one of the towers to the timeshare version, it was the "Diamond" tower. Ironically, the hotel has moved the 'prime' tower to the complete other side of the property. After visiting for almost 20 years, I can only assume that the property had at one point thought they were expanding in Diamond tower direction before pivoting it to a timeshare. I have not stayed inside this location as a HGVC member. Often, I have found staying at the other Waikoloa properties is that it was a 'better' deal than staying at the hotel site. The main thing is having to pay for parking. If you are staying at the other properties, you don't have to pay. Also, the walk you need to do from one end of the resort to the tower is long. Overall, it was interesting to see what the hotel had done with this area as I don't normally come through this area when I do visit the hotel. I did find the studio layout interesting and functional. The only downside was the room I booked was at the very bottom floor and people walking around the hotel looked down into my room. On the bright side, if you are a fan of bidets the rooms in this tower does have it!

Ocean Tower Studio Suite

Dining

Holey Grail Donuts - A vegan focused doughnut shop, I'm not a fan of it but it may be a good spot for the vegan lovers out there. To provide context, I've only had one place where I've liked their vegan doughnuts and it isn't Holey Grail. I grabbed a few doughnuts from the food truck spot in Waikiki while waiting for my musubis. The food truck no longer sits in Waikiki and they only have the brick and mortor location in Honolulu.


Musubi Cafe Iyasume - Located on seaside in Waikiki, it is one of the smaller locations of this local chain. The assortment is not as varied but it is the only one open at 8 am (probably for all the office workers). I was able to get my unagi spam musubis before heading to Big Island!

Ippy's Hawaiian Barbeque - Located on 64-1067 Hawaii Belt Rd Waimea, HI 96743, it is in a plaza where a bakery also was located. I had seen it before it was opened and made mental note to come back to visit. Went for dinner one night and I found the food good and homey. Because my eyes are bigger than my stomach, I ordered a few dishes to get a sense of the food. Definitely recommend this new business!


Earl's Waimea - Located on 64-974 Mamalahoa Hwy Waimea, HI 96743, I was hoping this bento place would be closer to Musubi Iyasume. Alas, it was not. Decent and reasonably priced, I would only recommend if nothing else was available for take out. I didn't try their fish jerky but the musubis were not compelling.

Hawaiian Style Cafe - Located on 65-1290 Kawaihae Rd Kamuela, HI 96743, their yelp page doesn't post their website and I know they have one but too lazy to search further. They do utilize Yelp waitlist so try to use that waitlist before getting to the restaurant. Always a favorite, I was able to get my pancakes and protein in this trip.

Kuleana Rum Shack - A rum distillery/retail store/restaurant, I do like getting food here while in Waikoloa. It isn't cheap but it isn't obnoxiously expensive and they have good rum! The desserts are on point too.




Broke Da Mouth Grindz - Another favorite of mine, I happily ate on top of my rental car the plate lunch of garlic chicken and shrimp.

Mrs. Barry's Cookies - I wish I had come across Mrs. Barry's sooner but I'm glad I did find them eventually. They have become a favorite of mine especially if I don't head out to the Hilo side of Big Island. The hawaiian wedding cookies are soooo good! And I like supporting a second generation business.

Kona Coffee & Tea - Another favorite spot, I usually enjoy grabbing coffee from this coffee shop. Sometimes the bakery options are good.


Breakfast Buffet @ Water's Edge - As a hotel guest, I used to love Water's Edge because it was subsidized for Diamond status. Alas, with the breakfast options limited with Hilton's new policy, it is a treat I don't get to often. It isn't cheap and I'm not sure if worth the money but it is convenient. I do enjoy the view of the lagoon and it was a nice way to end the trip in my final morning in Big Island.



Activities - most of my activities were centered around the Kona Coffee festival and I tried to understand the week long schedule as posted on their social media and website.

UCC Coffee - A Japanese owned coffee farm, I found it interesting how they operated their coffee farms. The farm has great views as well. As part of the Kona festival, they were offering a farm tour.

Hala Tree Coffee - At this coffee farm, a former finance person decided to run a coffee farm and he is very high tech about it too! It was very interesting to see his perspective and what the state of the coffee business is at especially for an unregulated high end premium coffee product like Kona Coffee. This is the first time I was also introduced to coffee tea called cascara tea. I know that the bug infestation has been devastating to the coffee farms in Hawaii and I'm glad they are able to survive. I would say that over the years, I have noticed a change in the taste of Kona coffee and it may be due to the environmental issues the farms face in combating the pest infestation.

Kona Coffee Cultural Festival - So there is an actual festival that occurs besides visiting coffee farms. The week long festival culminates on the last day as a sort of farmer's market. I think because of the limitations of the planners of the festival, it does feel more of a local event. It was a little hard to find and I only spent an hour or so walking around the stalls.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City