Final day in Bangkok

I went to Chatachuk (sp?) weekend market. The place, like the rest of Bangkok, is intense. I want to say it is the "South Coast Plaza" of swapmeets. Anything you can think of to buy, it is available. From puppies to candles to furniture, all can be had in one place. The place is so large that vendors are categorized into certain areas. Even with the map, I was still lost. The weekend market was more impressive than the Melbourne miles of stores.



Afterwards, I went back to the hotel for one last massage appointment. There was a 20% discount for all massages in the midday. I am not suprised that most people aren't in the hotel during those times and a good way to drum up some business. Had the best aromatherapy massage....or maybe I was just that tired. :)

Bangkok seems to be a city of commerce. Everyone is always trying to sell something and I was determined to see what other variation the city can conjure. My final foray was to the Sualum (sp?) Night Bazaar. I took a wrong turn from the subway station and had a slight 30 minute detour. On the verge of turning back, I finally found the place and wasn't disappointed.

The Bazaar was similar to the Markets in the morning. However, the Bazaar is more upscale than Chatachuk. There were galleries, trendy clothing, and ALOT more space to manuever. There was a food court with huge sitting area and a stage for entertainers. It seems the Bazaar combined eating, shopping, and hanging out in one place.

I did a quick look through but was tired and had a 7:50 am flight to catch. As I contemplated how and when to get to the airport, I was able to snare a free ride to the airport when checking out of the hotel the next morning. A fellow American (from Seattle) was on his way to the airport and offered a free ride. He was on a corporate trip from Monster.com. In hindsight, I should have tried to see if I could get a job!! He was even nice enough to offer me his cellphone to call home. Corporate America rocks. Although I declined, we talked about his condo in Molokai and his partner overseeing the construction of a home in Seattle. Nice guy. He even offered me tips on my trip as he had backpacked throughout Asia several times.

Comments

Allison said…
Your blog seemed so lonely without comments, and seeing that I've spent the last few days writing a painfully long paper about online liability when third parties post defamatory content (such as a comment on a blog), I thought I'd post something (though not defamatory). Your trip in Bangkok seemed so short. Hopefully you're at least over your jet lag, and all loose from all the massages. With all that shopping and commerce, did you get anything good?

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City