Saigon

I have to say, I like Saigon the most of all the places I've been. Architecturally different. From my understanding, the government allows only a certain amount of square footage to a family so all the houses essentially like alike...narrow structures that go deep, like SF Victorian houses (without the character). However, in Saigon, there is a little differentiation, not huge but some. I think it has to do with the European influence. Today, we went to Vaun Tang.....very unimpressive. It is the nearest beach to Saigon and it was a generic beach. I wonder why it was part of the itinerary. Came back and ate at Pho Pasteur...it has a good reputation for pho and my father remembered it fondly. It was good...not fantastic but good. Meat is a little tough. In general, I've found beef to be very tough in Vietnam. Pork = good, fish = good, chicken = good, beef = no good, fruits = can be deadly but good.

After dinner, went to visit my aunt. She's the oldest on my father's side. Itty bitty woman who's pretty old. My maternal grandmother has more spring to her step. Also went to visit my grandmother who is also in Vietnam for Tet and the family on that side. It ends up that I'll be staying with them until I leave Saigon. Cancelling that Sheraton reservation...although it would have been cool to stay. Have heard nice things about the Sheraton Saigon..... Next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City