Hanoi

Met up with the parents and siblings in Hanoi. My uncle and grandma also came over a week or two ago. After dumping our stuff at the hotel, went to vist a cousin where grandma/uncle were staying with and met my other uncle and his kids. (Mom's side) Afterwards, went to the hotel and met up with an uncle (father's side) and his kids before going to dinner.


The second day we went to my father's hometown two hours outside of Hanoi. Visited the family grave sites where great great great grandparents to grandmother was buried. Also met a bunch of cousins and uncles. Was pretty cool to see the little town where everyone lived before the war scattered everyone. I also saw my family tree for the first time. There are some incomplete parts where recent marriages and births weren't documented. I'm going to bring a copy home and fill out the missing holes. My particular branch needs a correction as well....as I've been named "Petit" Vu. Even my own family doesn't understand the enunciation of "Betty". Argh....

The third day in Hanoi was spent sightseeing the city. Since it required a bit of walking, my father bowed out and it was just us kids and mom. Suprisingly, the highlight of the day was seeing Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum. Spooky. I'm not sure why but alot of the sights were off limits to cameras/videotaping. Hope my memory keeps. The most memorable restaurant so far is Com Pho. All the other restuarants on this tour has kinda blown chunks.

Today, we're taking off to Ha Long Bay. It is a 3 hour trip one way and we're going to stay overnight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City