Chiang Mai Day 2

My vacation is coming down to a close. I have mixed feelings about it but who doesn't after a long vacation?

Spent the day at the Royal Flora Expo. It was pretty intense and a very warm day. The only difference between Bangkok and Chiang Mai in terms of weather was the level of humidity. Less so in the northern part of Thailand. My expectations before getting into Chiang Mai was weather closer to Hanoi or even similar to Hue (middle of Vietnam) but the city is definitely in the 80's to 90's. Anyways, back to the Expo....

Spent most of the day wandering around looking at the various exhibitions and the King's agrieconomic philosophies. Apparently, he wandered around Thailand's farmlands and made decisions to increase the water supply and change planting styles. Northern Thais were notorious Opium farmers and he was able to turn them to other sustainable products. I have to admit I was getting tired walking in the heat and was going to head home when I came across the Orchid Pavilion. Besides my mom's love affair with the flower, the Pavillion was under shade! I embarked for another hour to videotape the exhibitions in the Pavillion. I had earlier spoken with my mom via AIM Messenger and she seemed curious about the whole thing.



Afterwards, I was completely pooped out and spent the evening in the hotel room watching old movies. Havnen't been able to do that in a long time!

Since I have stable internet access again, I've been checking out my home finances and what not. Interestingly enough, exchange rates are good for cash. Even the change people at the Suvarnbhami Airport give a decent exchange rate. I've found the same for Vietnam. Although the cash exchange rates are somewhat superior to the ATMs by a couple of percentage points. I can only assume since cash is the prevalent currency it also gets the best rates....

Tomorrow's agenda: see the city's temples and night bazaar.

FYI, if anyone cares, an update on the home situation. We have confirmation of mold growth on both bedroom walls. Both bedrooms have been sealed and my roommate is sleeping in the living room. Owner of the unit diagonally above me is in Australia so the process is very slow. This'll be interesting when I get home....better start rummaging for my insurance's phone number. My parents are telling me to sell - bad luck karma or something. :o Although I look at it as a chance to remodel with someone else's money... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City