Final day in Chiang Mai

I accomplished my agenda yesterday....walked around the Old City and the Night Bazaar. The Old City is pretty uneventful. The highlights are the old temples that dot the area. Some are pretty cool. Aside from the architectural highlights these temples offer, I noticed that there are plenty of dogs in the temples. The monks must really like dogs. Unlike the Vietnamese dogs (they are all of some type of small mutt looking dog but have similar features - made me want to bring one home), the Thai dogs look all imported. I saw Dalmations, Retrievers, Rottweilers, etc. Must be expatriates who didn't bother collecting their dogs and they ran away. Despite the lack of apparent ownership, all the dogs I came across were fairly friendly and hella smart. They must get hit by cars, tuk tuks, etc enough to always look on both sides of the street before crossing.


When walking around the downtown area of Chiang Mai where the Night Bazaar was held, I thought to myself that my family would have liked Chiang Mai. Hot with little humidity for my brothers, endless souviner shopping for my sister, McDonald's and KFC and Pizza Hut for my youngest brother, and all day all night shopping for my mom. On top of all this, you could go outside the city for some nature hikes and conservation organizations. Of which I did neither. I just couldn't muster the motivation to visit these areas...maybe next time.

Today, I'm flying out in the evening back to Bangkok to catch my flight home to the States at 6 am tomorrow morning.

Things I'll miss about being in Thailand and Vietnam:
1) ability to eat asian food all the time
2) mangoes and mangosteens. i'm not a huge of pineapples but they are hella good here.
3) fried pies from McDonald's. I liked the corn pies best... :)
4) able to sleep 9 to 10 hours of sleep every night
5) being able to eat on only a couple of dollars a day
6) motorbikes
7) not seeing white people

Things I won't miss:
1) inconsistency in toilet standards
2) having to be careful where food and water comes from
3) asian etiquette

Comments

TQ said…
ok this was funny:

7) not seeing white people

Popular posts from this blog

New Orleans

Salt Lake and Park City

Park City